Igi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Igi

I have found one of my rellies on IGI can anyone tell me if I was to order the orginal record if it would tell me any more than it all ready states on the record. It is for Richard James Wyatt, birth 1807, it just states his parents are Richard and Lucy I want to get beyond them?
    Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 10-08-08, 13:06.
    GWEN

I have a parish register page of a baptism in 1821 and no it didn`t give anymore details, but i think it depended on who did the baptisms, some gave more information and some didnt

Sylvia
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Gwen

Well, it might, or it might not! You can never tell until you are actually looking at the original.

However, if you do order the PR, you may find information about the family and previous generations and you can do lots of little mini trees, which may turn out useful in the end.

(You HAVE found an extracted record I take it, not a submitted one?)

OC

Comment

Thanks for that it is an extracted record what I want to find out is information about Richards parents where they were born and who their parents were. I have never ordered these records before so not sure what to do can anyone tell me?

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        Gwen

Well, it might, or it might not! You can never tell until you are actually looking at the original.

However, if you do order the PR, you may find information about the family and previous generations and you can do lots of little mini trees, which may turn out useful in the end.

(You HAVE found an extracted record I take it, not a submitted one?)

OC
        GWEN

Comment

As OC says, you can never quite tell.

If all the registers have been filmed, then you will get the burials as well: which might show that Richard was buried as a baby.

If he had younger siblings, after 1812 you should get where the parents were living and the father's occupation. This may be seemingly meaningless, but it often helps to sort out two men with the same name, married to two women with the same forename.

Marriages pre 1837 don't give father's names or any occupations, but the witnesses can help you sort out families or explain connections.

The banns book, where it survives, can indicate out of parish marriages.

Parish registers may be dispiritingly badly filmed and difficult to read, but it is ALWAYS worth looking at them in their entirety, not just the entry that interests you. It's your family, in a parish that they would have known, so they would have been to friends' weddings and attended their funerals.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Parish baptism registers give very little information, depending on the place and the period: usually it's just the names of the child and the parents, and possibly the father's occupation and the family's abode:

Now you've found one of the children on the IGI, you can check to see if there are any siblings.

Put nothing for the child's name, Richard Wyatt for the father, Lucy for the mother, and London for the place. That search brings up several probable siblings for Richard, all born in Shoreditch.

If there are too many entries you can enter a date range, or the batch number of the first child's birth; entering the batch number gives you all the children baptised in the same church with the same parents.

You can then look for the parents' marriage - however, there's nothing coming up for a Richard Wyatt marrying a Lucy. I've also checked Pallot's marriage index on Ancestry, and they're not there.

You can e-mail the local records office to ask for a copy of the baptism entry (not sure which one covers Shoreditch - maybe London Metropolitan Archives?), and most of them will send a copy for a fee.

However, to research the whole family and hopefully go further back, you can order the microfilm of the parish register from your local LDS centre for a very small fee (about £2, I think), and view it at the centre. They'll hold it for you for a couple of months.

Latter Day Saints Family History Libraries - Family Tree Forum
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-08-08, 13:09.

Comment

Thanks everyone
              I have already found all the other siblings born to Richard and Lucy that was the easy part now I need to go beyond them. Not sure where my local LDs centre is off to look into that.
              thanks again
              Gwen
              GWEN

Comment

Typical there is only on centre in Essex and that is at Romford, why not one in Chelmsford or Colchester in fact their are none out this way at all have to have a rethink.
                GWEN

Comment

[QUOTE=Mary from Italy;1346341]Parish baptism registers give very little information, depending on the place and the period: usually it's just the names of the child and the parents, and possibly the father's occupation and the family's abode:

QUOTE]

I'm sorry, Mary, but you can't possibly make a statement like that. From 1812, Rose's registers standardised the information given but the lovely vicars in Norfolk squeezed extra details into the boxes.

Pre 1812 you may get

Jane dr of William Smith bp 4 May
                  Jane dr of William Smith and Mary his wife bp 4 May
                  Jane dr of William Smith jnr
                  Jane dr of William Smith of Lower End
                  Jane dr of William Smith, farrier
                  Jane third dr of William Smith and Mary his wife (formerly Taylor, formerly Higginson spinster) born 16 March bp 4 May
                  Jane dr Mary Smith by her husband's son
                  etc etc etc.

And in Nonconformist registers even
                  Jane Smith born 16 March.

But you really won't know what you will get unless you look. For somewhere like London, the addresses and occupations are really important for identifying people.
                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Sorry, I was basing that statement on the numerous parish registers I've seen, but I did link to the Wiki, which gives the full details of what they contain. I've never had the luck to find anything more than very basic information, except in the Baptist registers.

Comment

Mind you, if you are lucky enough to have an ancestor who was the parish clerk (or the vicar), you may find that they wrote lots of extra info about their family in the parish register. Worth having a look at the PR's if possible as you never know what will be in there until you look.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

There are transcribed parish registers on my website, the Bottesford circa 1848 baptisms give a fair bit of information.
                        Botpr1
                        Cheers
                        Guy
                        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
                        X