Cannot find this man and wife on any census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot find this man and wife on any census

I have a George Daniel Knight born 1840 Bermondsey Surrey married in 1863 June Quarter 1D 34 St Olave Southwark to either a Elizabeth Mason or a Sophia Augusta Lulham
    Cannot find either of them on any census after the marriage ???????
    Any ideas thanks

Looks like he married Elizabeth:

1871: Class: RG10; Piece: 632; Folio: 75; Page: 25

1881: Class: RG11; Piece: 524; Folio: 17; Page: 31;

Comment

dont know how you do it Mary but thanks so much I did have him down as marrying a Lucy but found she married another George Knight !!!!

Comment

Does your George Daniel have siblings Frances and Frederick?

There is a George married to Elizabeth who has children Fanny and Frederick? He gives his birthplace as Camberwell, but he looks like the son of George and Mary
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

There's this one in 1871 a bootmaker but his wife is listed as Lucy Ann

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 176; Folio: 69; Page: 39; GSU roll: 823305.

Alfred Knight 8 months
          Alice Maud Knight 6
          Francis Knight 3
          George Knight 31
          Lucy Ann Knight 29
          Marian Jone Knight 7

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Val, do you have him on the censuses before his marriage? What was his occupation?

Comment

Phoenix yes he is the son of George and Mary and he does have siblings with those names thanks
              Jbee I had him down as married to her but its another George Knight his middle name on another census was not Daniel thanks

Comment

no I dont Mary, I seem to get a mental block with the Knight name there are so many of them .

Comment

I know, I have Knights, too

Comment

Oh dear, so do I!

And I've just spotted a possible problem: a George Knight married to Emma in 1861. Now he could easily have been widowed and remarried. The only snag is that he is giving the middle name of Richard.
                    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Yes, I just spotted that one, too. Hmm.

In the meantime I've found him in 1851 with his parents and siblings:

Class: HO107; Piece: 1562; Folio: 433; Page: 6

Comment

oh thanks Phoenix you are lovely I am on the laptop at the moment so dont have the paperwork to hand shall dig it out later , must show willing and do some ironing yuk

Comment

Having seen how many Fredericks there are in the area, I think you will have to get a copy of that George's marriage certificate in 1863 to be absolutely positive that you have the right man. It seems more reasonable that a currier's son goes into the leather industry, but Bermondsey was famous for its leather works so having a dad (Frederick) as a house painter would not preclude a son from working at the tannery on the doorstep.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                            Looks like he married Elizabeth:

1871: Class: RG10; Piece: 632; Folio: 75; Page: 25

1881: Class: RG11; Piece: 524; Folio: 17; Page: 31;
                            Mary I know it looks like I'm stupid but I cannot find these on ancestry what do I put in the search box ?????thanks

I still cannot find him or them in 1861 either

Comment

Val, if you scroll right down the page, next to the SEARCH button, you can put the details Mary has given you in the three boxes next to RG10 or RG11

Comment

I did ???????????????

Comment

Val, just go to the 1871 census

Type George Knight in, no dates or anything then at the bottom put the census numbers in..It comes up 1st in the list
                                  No use giving you the link as Im on Ancestry.com.au so dont think you will see it.?? Not sure lol..

I'll try anyway...http://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-bi...f=1+2+74+75+80

]

Comment

You can even put the numbers I gave you in the search box with nothing else at all, not even his name, and you'll still see him on the page that comes up.

Alternatively, try this link:

- Ancestry.co.uk

Comment

Lol Mary, your link offered me a 14 day free trial :D

It can be awkward when were all on different ones..

]

Comment

How odd - I actually have the Australian (UK heritage) sub, but the link was from ancestry.co.uk.

Comment

Working...
                                        X