Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free census info on GR

Don't get too excited, folks!

I wanted to find a road on a map of 1910 while I was at TNA. Not having an atlas to hand, and with no access to Ancestry in 1901, I asked the enquiry desk the quickest way to find the enumerator's description.

There isn't a quick way to find it on the GR site. But, if just before you download the image, you click the previous button, and keep on clicking it, you get to free images. These are the enumerators' descriptions and various statistical sheets. This is an incredibly clunky method (and I blush to say that the road I was looking for is within spitting distance of where I work:o) but it is interesting that GR has actually more images than Ancestry, which only has the descriptions.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

When you say click on "previous", do you mean the "back" button on your browser? doesn't work for me.

Comment

Phoenix, ancestry do have those, you just have t go to it in a different way.

Click on the census, then click the county scroll down to underneath the search boxand then the town and then there are the districts.

I know because I have seen a few with my rellies names, writing and signatures on!

:D

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I think I know the statistical sheets you mean and I remember seeing them on the microfiche at the record office but have never seen them on ancestry, only the actual description of the enumeration district, i.e. list of streets included etc. There are also several sheets of instructions for the enumerator on the microfiche with a sample page (St Saviour Southwark, I think) to show how it should be filled in but I don't know whether that is on ancestry and / or GR or not.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

GR have ALL the pages, including the samples. Much to my surprise. It has only taken me six years to find them! Ancestry just has the enumerators' descriptions.

Mary, it's the images you are scrolling through: there is a button at the bottom of the screen that says "previous"
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

You can't see the images unless you have a paid subscription to the records, though, can you?

Comment

Blinkety flip, you're right, Mary. And I've no intention of paying £5 just to see a free image! (That's the trouble with using TNA's site - some things behave very differently to private access.) Though it is nice to know that the stats are actually available: they have sometimes been the only way I could absolutely prove that someone wasn't where I thought on a census.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                I think I know the statistical sheets you mean and I remember seeing them on the microfiche at the record office but have never seen them on ancestry, only the actual description of the enumeration district, i.e. list of streets included etc. There are also several sheets of instructions for the enumerator on the microfiche with a sample page (St Saviour Southwark, I think) to show how it should be filled in but I don't know whether that is on ancestry and / or GR or not.

As Tom said, that info is on Ancestry as well.
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Where, Wendy? If I look at the enumeration description sheet, it says 1 of 1. The woman I was talking to on Saturday was closely involved in the 1901 census (she says 1911 is going to be wonderful (!)) and she said that GR was the only place that you could see the stats sheets. These tell you how many households were enumerated and how many males and females appear and are the basis of the national statistics.

Comment

My mistake, sorry Phoenix. Have just checked and I think I have confused Ancestry with my Census CDs that I have. They contain all the pages you mentioned. How to fill in the forms and how many households etc.
                    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                    X