Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 MORANs but only 1 ref in Ancestry

Liverpool Irish this time.

I am a newcomer to Ancestry so I may well be doing something stupid, again.

I know of six Moran relatives but can only find any data for one, using Ancestry.

Maternal grandparets
    Thomas Peter Moran b abt 1883 d August 1939, Liverpool
    Ellen Mary O'Neil b abt 1869 d Jan 1841, Liverpool
    The DoD's are taken from Mass Cards.
    Honora b Jan 1606 m and d in Scotland.
    Ann
    Thomas Gerard bDEc 1909, Liverpool (The only Ancestry record)
    Nellie

I know they are all dead. All the children except Honora lived and died in Liverpool.

Why can I not find them? Help appreciated.

Hugo

Are you looking for census entries or BMDs?

In the case of census entries, Ancestry's transcriptions aren't always very good, so you have to be a bit creative with your searches.

In the case of BMDs, the "partial" index on Ancestry is taken from FreeBMD, and only goes up to about the early 1920s.

After that, you have to trawl each quarter separately in the "complete" index, which takes a very long time.

Comment

I see what you mean - I'm just looking for the children's births, and they're a bit elusive.

Where and when were the parents married?

This is a possible for Nellie:

Births Jun 1911
      Moran Nellie Prestwich 8d 417

but there are also several Ellen Morans born in Liverpool.

Unfortunately the index doesn't show the mother's maiden name until mid-1911-
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 09-08-08, 22:51.

Comment

Thomas P Moran death 1939 Q3 Liverpool North 8b 293 aged 73

above from full death indexes on Ancestry - rather older than you thought.....maybe you dismissed him? (Maybe it isn't the right one!)

Comment

Death: Ellen M Moran 1941 Q2 Liverpool North 8b 534 aged 72

Comment

I don't suppose Nellie was actually Eileen?

Births Dec 1917
            Moran Eileen / O'Neill / W. Derby / 8b 441

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
              Thomas P Moran death 1939 Q3 Liverpool North 8b 293 aged 73

above from full death indexes on Ancestry - rather older than you thought.....maybe you dismissed him? (Maybe it isn't the right one!)
              There's no Thomas P Moran births at the right time. There are lots and lots without a middle name though!

Do you know when/where he and Ellen married? I wondered if you knew Thomas' father's details (or parents if it was Scotland!!)

Comment

Do we actually know if Thomas was born in England?

Comment

Honora's birth should be easy to find, because it's a fairly unusual name.

This is the only one in the right general area:

Births Dec 1909
                  MORAN Honora Toxteth Park 8b 124

but it's too close to Thomas Gerard's birth.

However, it looks as though Thomas and Ann may have been twins:

Births Dec 1909
                  MORAN Annie Liverpool 8b 6
                  MORAN Thomas Gerard Liverpool 8b 6

Comment

There's this couple with no children in 1901 where the man is transcribed as Thomas S Moran, but is Thomas P Moran on the image (I think).

RG13; Piece: 3392; Folio: 13; Page: 17

If it's the right couple, Ellen has lost a few years compared with her death record.............
                    Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 09-08-08, 23:08.

Comment

Wow! What a response!

I have no information about my grandparents origins, where they were married, or of their parents.

I have only looked at BMDs and didn't realise that I had to check some quarter by quarter.

I think Ann and Thomas were twins, I now remember my mother talking about having twins in the family.

I never heard my aunt Nellie called anything else, so she could be Ellen/Eileen.

"Thomas P Moran death 1939 Q3 Liverpool North 8b 293 aged 73"
                      The DoD seems right. I will need to think about the age discrepancy.

CORRECTION Honora's DoB should be Jan 1906 (now I understand why there are errors in the official records)

Now I have lots to think about and to practice with on Ancestry to duplicate your results.

Many thanks to each of you for your expertise and your efforts.

Hugo

Comment

I guessed Honora's birthdate was supposed to be 1906, but there isn't a birth in the right area for that year.

Are you calculating the date from the information that was on her death cert? That's only as accurate as the informant's knowledge.

I'm a bit puzzled at to why I can't find Thomas and Ellen's marriage - could he be her second husband? I've found a Thomas Moran possibly marrying a Julia O'Neill and another one possibly marrying an Ellen Bent - nothing else that looks promising, in England and Wales anyway. If the census entry that Merry found is them, they were both born in England, so you'd expect them to be married there.
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-08-08, 12:44.

Comment

Hi Mary,

I don't know if Thomas Peter and Ellen Mary were born in England. It could be that they were born and married in Ireland. (The brick wall again!)

You might be right about it being a second marriage for Ellen Mary but I never heard my mother mention such a thing.

Again, many thanks.

Hugo

Comment

Working...
                          X