Claiming WW 2 medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claiming WW 2 medals

I just thought that you might like to know that the process is very easy. Download a form from http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/De...cationForm.htm

Fill it in and send it off with any relevant certificate copies (BMD). I did just that for my father's medals on 16th July, and I received the medals on Wednesday 6th August! I think that is great service as I had read on various forums that people had waited 6 months or more.

I am so chuffed Dad was entitled to 5 medals in total, and each one has come in a separate box along with the appropriate ribbons. He was awarded the 1939-45 Star, Africa Star, Defence Medal, Italy Star and War Medal 1939-45.

If anybody has not done it, please do as it is really good to receive some sort of recognition for what your rellie did for his/her country.
    Pauline
    xx
    OPC Lanlivery, Lanivet & Newquay
    www.mumsiep.tribalpages.com

How do you find out if the medals haven't been claimed? My grandfather was killed in WWI and I would love to have his medals if they haven't been claimed.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Wendy,

WW1 medals were awarded automatically either to the serving member or his family if he was killed in action as my grandfather was.

WW2 medals had to be applied for at the end of the war, and I can remember my father saying that he had not claimed them, which has been supported by what has just happened.

I would suggest that you question family members as to whether they know what happened to those medals. I recently went to a flea market in Abergavenny, and there were loads of WW1 medals on sale there on various stalls. Sad that they have been disconected from the relevant families, but I think sometimes people sold them to get money to live on.

Good luck with your quest.
      Pauline
      xx

Comment

Unfortunately none of his family are around any more so I can't ask them. I don't expect I will ever be able to find them now.

I am extremely lucky in having my father's medals and those of OH's father. My FIL has the "Pip, Squeak and Wilfred" set plus the Dunkirk medal and a special one from the King of Belgium, so they are very special to us.
        Wendy

Comment

I was given my uncles WW2 medals in the box they came in.

Unfortunately its addressed to Mr J ******* but I have 2 uncles who both served in the Army with the same initial.

I think its the one that was a POW but I cannot be sure as I don't know which regiments either of them served in or their army numbers.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Is there anything inscribed on the rim of the medals?
            Pauline
            xx

Comment

Wendy, if you look at the actual Medal Roll entry or entries corresponding to your grandfather's WW1 medal index card, there should be a column headed "Record of disposal of decorations - (a) Presented (b) Despatched by Post (c) Taken into Stock
              But sorry to say this column is not always actually filled in.

Also the medal index card itself sometimes has information on the back about correspondence which might tell you whether the medals were claimed or not, though I suppose you have already seen the back of it?
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                Wendy, if you look at the actual Medal Roll entry or entries corresponding to your grandfather's WW1 medal index card, there should be a column headed "Record of disposal of decorations - (a) Presented (b) Despatched by Post (c) Taken into Stock
                But sorry to say this column is not always actually filled in.

Also the medal index card itself sometimes has information on the back about correspondence which might tell you whether the medals were claimed or not, though I suppose you have already seen the back of it?

There is nothing written on the back of the card, and it just says he was entitled to the Victory Medal and the British Medal and the Roll and Page Nos.

How and where do I find the actual Medal Roll?
                Wendy

Comment

Wendy, I've the same on Phils uncle's medal card. We don't know if the medals were claimed/ sent to family or not. I do have the large medal issued after the war with the scroll of honour and letter from the king but I can't find anything else. I think I'll contact the medal office and see if they can help.
                  Just adding the following after more research. Looks like there's no chance of getting replacements.:(

Details of the medals awarded to serving members of the armed forces, veterans and MOD employees; and who can receive them.
                  Last edited by Durham Lady; 10-08-08, 13:07.
                  Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                    How and where do I find the actual Medal Roll?

It is at TNA, Wendy, but not available online.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks Kite, too far away for me to visit I'm afraid.
                      Wendy

Comment

Wendy, you could get a researcher to go for you?
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                        X