Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Edgar Hepburn - just a shot in the dark!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Edgar Hepburn - just a shot in the dark!

John Edgar Hepburn My 'real' grandfather (he didn't marry my maternal gmother). I have had no luck finding much about him.

With professional help when I first started researching (4 years ago) I learned:

dob 27 June 1884 in Parkhead, Glasgow
    Parents James Hepburn and Janet (nee Gibb)
    Parents Marriage: 21st Oct 1881 Glasgow

Died (Single) Aged 58 on 27 Sept. 1942, Balornock Rd, Glasgow. Informant: (his Sister) Margaret Affleck (of 19 Camphill Avenue, Glasgow.

Thanks to Liz, on here, I learned recently that John had a brother James dob: 24 May 1883; sister Elizabeth Scott Hepburn dob. 28 Dec 1887; sister Janet Gibb Hepburn dob. 23 March 1889 and sister Margaret Clark Hepburn dob ??

Margaret had married on 2 July 1914 to William Affleck...thanks to Liz
    I also have notes about his parents and siblings.

But I've had no luck tracing any more of the Affleck family or any other Hepburns in order to find out if anyone knows more about John Edgar.

My gmother Mary Gordon Campbell dob 21 May 1895 did marry later:
    to Paul Stewart Wilkie on 17 March 1926, when my mother Mary Hepburn Campbell was 11 yrs old.

As far as I know there were two girls born to them - but my mother, who died quite young (over 25 years ago), only briefly mentioned them (she didn't get on with them apparently) but I think their names were Helen and (possibly) Doris.

Mother had never spoken of her childhood - except to say that I looked like ''her father'' and ''take after him'' - which of course I now find very intriguing, because my sister and I were quite in the dark about what had happened....... apparently she also said my sister looks like the Campbell side of the family.

If anyone is good at using the Scottish Research sites, I'd be so grateful if any more info can be found. I must admit I find it very confusing that Socts had/have this tradition of carrying down all their ''family'' names as miiddle names!
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

I haven't been able to find Margaret Affleck's death or her husband from 1942 to 2006 in Scotland.

Have pm you some results of births for Helen and Doris but doesn't look very hopeful. Unfortunately Wilkie is quite a common name in Scotland.

It's very helpful on scotlandspeople to record both maiden names and married names in the deaths but haven't been very successful.

In 1901 they are living at 428 Gt Eastern Rd, Glasgow

Elizabeth S Hepburn 13
    James Hepburn 46
    James Hepburn 77 think means 7
    Janet G Hepburn 46
    Janet G Hepburn 12
    Jane W Hepburn 8
    John E Hepburn 16
    Margaret C Hepburn 19

Source Citation: Parish: Glasgow Camlachie; ED: 25; Line: 10; Year: 1901.
    Last edited by JBee; 10-08-08, 00:19.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I did a search for John's mother Janet Hepburn (nee Gibb) I only found one dying in Scotland between 1855 and 2006 so more than likely your Janet.
      She died in Camlachie District in 1925.

You may already have that info. I'm sorry I don't have enough credits to actually view the image.

Parkhead is where a lot of my McCreadie's lived for a couple of generations.
      Also Great Eastern Rd is mentioned a lot in my family tree with my McCreadie's. Even my own Grandfather was born at 401 Gallowgate in 1921.
      With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post

In 1901 they are living at 428 Gt Eastern Rd, Glasgow

Elizabeth S Hepburn 13
        James Hepburn 46
        James Hepburn 77 think means 7
        Janet G Hepburn 46
        Janet G Hepburn 12
        Jane W Hepburn 8
        John E Hepburn 16
        Margaret C Hepburn 19

Source Citation: Parish: Glasgow Camlachie; ED: 25; Line: 10; Year: 1901.
        Hi JBee

I think it was meant to be 17 because he was born 1884 and I also found them on 1891. Although as usual the adults ages are dodgy :D

Living at 2 Jas (James) St. Shettleson.

Eliza Hepburn 3
        Janet Hepburn 33
        Janet Hepburn 2
        Jas Hepburn 32
        Jas Hepburn 7
        John Hepburn 6
        Margt Hepburn 9

Source Citation: Parish: Barony; ED: 11; Line: 17; Year: 1891.

Also found Paul s Wilkie aged 7 on 1901 census if you are interested.

Source Citation: Parish: Glasgow Springburn; ED: 110; Line: 6; Year: 1901.
        Last edited by BigShaz McCreadie; 10-08-08, 09:41. Reason: add something
        With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

do you know the names of John Edgar's parents?
          GWEN

Comment

Hi Big Shaz and Jbee - thanks so much for looking at this, and your kind help - I'm sorry have been busy most of today, but have now replied to you very interesting mails.

Gwen, thank you too - John Edgar's parents were

James Hepburn and Janet (Gibb). they were married in glasgow 21 Oct 1881. John Edgar was born in Parkhead 27 June 1884.
            Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Working...
            X