Manchester Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manchester Marriage

I have found 2 marriage records for John Connolly b.1851 - one is 1873 and the other 1875. I have checked 1881 census but it doesn't give me any clues.
    Rather than buy both certs is there any way I can find out which is the correct one first?
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Lynne - What facts do you have about your John?

Comment

LDS has

JOHN CONNOLLY Spouse: MARY ANN RILEY
      Marriage: 19 SEP 1875 Saint Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
      Source Information: Batch No.: M005995
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

two on Lancs bmd for Manchester

CONNOLLY John BAINES Charlotte ......Manchester Register Office or Registrar Attended

CONNOLLY John HYNES Winifred ..........Manchester Register Office or Registrar Attended
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

The 1875 one married Winifred:

CONNOLLY John HYNES Winifred Manchester Register Office or Registrar Attended Manchester MCR_RM/85/197

(From Lancs BMD)

The other one married Charlotte:

CONNOLLY John BAINES Charlotte Manchester Register Office or Registrar Attended Manchester MCR_RM/81/61

But his surname might have been spelled wrong or he might have married elsewhere or not at all.......I take it there's more than one possible for him in 1881?

Comment

Sorry I took so long to reply, I lost my internet connection (again!!).

Anyway, the 2 marriages are the Charlotte Baines and Winifred Hynes ones.

As for John, he is the eldest son of Peter and Bridget Connolly (nee Ford) and was born in 1851 in Manchester. In 1871 he is a Printer and living at 5 Ivy Street, Manchester with his parents and siblings.

I have the 2 Johns in 1881. The one with Charlotte is a Joiner and the one with Winifred is an Iron Turner (none of which helps me - LOL!)
            Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Merry

Are you getting slower?? :D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                Merry

Are you getting slower?? :D
                I was making my son a sandwich!

Comment

Originally posted by Granny Lynne View Post
                  Sorry I took so long to reply, I lost my internet connection (again!!).

Anyway, the 2 marriages are the Charlotte Baines and Winifred Hynes ones.

As for John, he is the eldest son of Peter and Bridget Connolly (nee Ford) and was born in 1851 in Manchester. In 1871 he is a Printer and living at 5 Ivy Street, Manchester with his parents and siblings.

I have the 2 Johns in 1881. The one with Charlotte is a Joiner and the one with Winifred is an Iron Turner (none of which helps me - LOL!)
                  Seeing as you know the parents names you could go via the local reg office and use the name of dad as a ref check, if neither match then you wouldn't pay anything, the GRO would only give a part refund.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Nell
                    Just noticed your post about the Liverpool marriage. Now you have thrown another spanner in the works as a couple of his siblings moved to Liverpool so that could be him!!
                    Lynne

Comment

Peter and Bridget's son is listed as John Joseph Connolly in 1871, so what about this one?

CONNOLLY John J NABB Margaret H E Salford Register Office or Registrar Attended Salford SAL/34/63

(is John Joseph on FreeBMD)

Comment

More confusion!!

CONNOLLY John KELLY Catherine Edge Hill, St. Nathaniel Windsor Liverpool 2119WD/1/38

CONNOLLY John CAMPBELL Margaret Liverpool, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool REG_LP/149/136

CONNOLLY John HYNES Winifred Manchester Register Office or Registrar Attended Manchester MCR_RM/85/197

CONNOLLY John MCMAHON Sarah Oldham Register Office or Registrar Attended Oldham RM/36/55

CONNOLLY John MORAN Mary Liverpool, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool REG_LP/149/167

CONNOLLY John RILEY Mary A Liverpool, Our Lady & St. Nicholas & St. Anne Liverpool 2053LP/61/116

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen

LOL at your quip to Merry!!

So would you advise I phone them and ask them to check if one has a father named Peter? When I have ordered via Manchester before I have done it by post and if it's incorrect they have only refunded part of the £7.
                          Lynne

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                            I was making my son a sandwich!
                            Thats OK then :D. Thought you might be slipping up.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Wow, I think I should take a rest from this one - LOL!! There are far too many.

Merry

What year is the marriage to Margaret Nabb please?
                              Lynne

Comment

Best fit:

John CONNOLY Head M Male 26 Manchester Labourer In Dye House
                                Margaret CONNOLY Wife M Female 28 Manchester No Occupation
                                Robert CONNOLY Son U Male 5 Manchester No Occupation

37 Style St manchester

Not great, I admit!

Maybe Margaret would grace us with her other initials on a later census?!!

Comment

Glen

LOL at your quip to Merry!!

So would you advise I phone them and ask them to check if one has a father named Peter? When I have ordered via Manchester before I have done it by post and if it's incorrect they have only refunded part of the £7.
                                  OC is the expert with that office methinks. Certainly she has ordered from the area anyway.

Perhaps it is possible to supply both refs but specify that the cert is only required if the father is called Peter/Pete etc (useful to include a variant just in case).

I haven't used the Lancs service so couldn't say from personal experience exactly how they work.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Wow, I think I should take a rest from this one - LOL!! There are far too many.

Merry

What year is the marriage to Margaret Nabb please?
                                    1877 (sorry!), so maybe even less likely to be the couple I posted in 1881.

Her name was Nabb Margaret Hannah E on Free BMD and I saw a birth in the area in 1857 (from memory) which could be her. (no E though, just Margaret Hannah)

Comment

Merry
                                      Which census is that please?
                                      Lynne

Comment

Thanks Glen, I may try phoning on Monday.

Merry, So it's 1881 census then?
                                        Lynne

Comment

Working...
                                        X