Finding a Will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a Will

My GGG Grandfather Edwin Littlejohns a theatrical machinest died in 1900 in steyning sussex, how would I go about finding if he left a will?

I am unable to get to any records offices as I move out of the country in 3 weeks time. So am wondering if there is anyway to do it online or over the phone.

thanks,
    Researching the following names:Clarke, Littlejohns, Mansfield, Michelin, Anderson, Marr, Newlands, Shiells, Paterson, Taylor, Catleugh, Thomson, Rutherford, Cullen, Dowling, Douglas and many more
    My family tree
    In search of my Elusive G Grandfather - Grosvenor Ashford Clarke - A Dramatic Actor

Don't know if you've seen the thread below Wills and Probate. http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...s-probate.html

I too was hoping I could look online and see if any of mine made a will - but I don't think you can from what they say.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I recently phoned the Archivist at Lewes regarding a copy of an ancestor's will, and they have sent me a form asking for £5 to be sent to the West Sussex Record Office at Chichester.

The Chichester RO Website is West Sussex County Council: Record Office and their phone number is 01243 753600
      Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Oh dear, Shevy, I hope that West Sussex Record Office has wills post-1858, because if you have to go the route of ordering from York, you will most likely already be gone by the time it arrives! If only I'd seen this earlier on I could have quickly popped into the record office to check the National Probate Calendar to see if there was an entry.

Anyway, I do have one idea - buy some credits for Findmypast and search the Index to Death Duty Registers to see if he is listed on there. At least that way you can find out straight away whether there is an entry or not.
        http://www.findmypast.com/welcome.jsp
        (It's in the Births, Marriages and Deaths section for some reason, in Deaths and Burials)

The index only goes up to 1903 though, so if you don't find an entry it could possibly mean that it took a few years for probate to be granted.

If you do find an entry then you would still need to order a copy of the will from York unless it turns out that the Sussex Record Office does have wills from 1900.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

thanks everyone. I will see if he can be found in the death duty register. Will also read the other thread as mentioned
          Researching the following names:Clarke, Littlejohns, Mansfield, Michelin, Anderson, Marr, Newlands, Shiells, Paterson, Taylor, Catleugh, Thomson, Rutherford, Cullen, Dowling, Douglas and many more
          My family tree
          In search of my Elusive G Grandfather - Grosvenor Ashford Clarke - A Dramatic Actor

Comment

Working...
          X