Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you guess the ages of the children in this pic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you guess the ages of the children in this pic?

My mother is the younger girl and was born in 1920. To me she looks about 2 or 3 years old. Her sister was born 1916 and her brother about 1918 I think.

When do you reckon the photo was taken?

Liz

I'd say your mother was older than that !!! but I may be wrong, I'd say she is about 5

Comment

Thanks Val. Knowing their background, I think the photographer provided the hats!
      Liz

Comment

I would estimate the photo was taken c1925 Liz. I reckon children may have been smaller in those days than children of the same age today.

Comment

Thanks David.
          Liz

Comment

Liz
            They don't look very happy do they - LOL! and the little boy looks terrified!!
            I love your mum's knitted dress, wonder if your granny made it?
            Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

I have a smallish 3-and-a-half year old here now and she is about the same siza as your mother is in the photo. I also have two five your old boys here (lucky me!). Both of them are taller than your mother's brother though.

I think the photo was taken about 1924.

Comment

and the little boy looks terrified!!
                lol, but quite cute!!

Comment

I have a photo of a boy in a very similar sailor outfit (can't post it as he is still alive). I don't know whether it was a fashion of the time - I think the photo was taken in about 1925, and in Altrincham, which may I suppose have been somewhat behind the times fashion-wise.
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Have just looked again at the old album they came from and the date given is 1922-24. Had forgotten that was there after I scanned them.

Unfortunately their mother had died in 1923.

They do look as though they have been made to stick hats on their heads unaccustomed as they are to wearing them and been ordered to sit there. Their Dad was quite strict.

Did girls wear boots like my mother is wearing then? They lived in Tiger Bay, Cardiff...Splott -near the docks.
                    Liz

Comment

Yes, little girls did wear boots and this means they weren't dirt poor, as otherwise they would have worn clogs.

They are nice and shiny, look good quality and therefore not hand-me-downs either.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC - Mum recalled using soot and salt as toothpaste etc but her Dad always worked. Guess priorities were a good pair of shoes on feet and food on table.

Pictures of surrounding streets in a book of the area in slightly earlier time show very poor children, many of Irish descent.
                        Liz

Comment

yes i would say mid of the 20,s i have dad in a sailor suit he was born 1914 and was about 8 in his picture brenda xxx

Comment

Thanks Bren...can you imagine today's children wearing them!
                            Liz

Comment

Dont know about the dates, but its a smashing photo Liz,
                              Pam

Comment

Thanks Pam, was restored by Rachel on photo restoration thread here.
                                Liz

Comment

Sailor suits for boys were popular for several decades - it looks like he's wearing his school cap with it. His boots are only laced up through the top eyelets, nicely polished though

Comment

Well spotted Jill, hadn't noticed that. Once his second wife died in 1923, their father ran the family with his army discipline...He did go on to marry another 2 wives though so wicked stepmothers came into the family pretty soon
                                    Liz

Comment

Working...
                                    X