X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong father's name on marriage cert?

Hi

I wonder if I can ask for your advice?

I am searching my husbands mother's line for her and want to make sure I get the right one!

I know her father was Robert Treadwell, b.1915 in Aston, Birmingham. I have his birth certificate and his father is listed as Edwin Treadwell, his mother as Annie Elizabeth Treadwell formerly Seal. This supports the info I got from my MIL.

I also have Edwin and Annie's marriage certificate from 1910 in Bordesley, Birmingham. Both are aged 23. Her father is listed as George Seal, a Caster, and Edwin's father is listed as Edwin, a ?-Caster. Edwin Jnr is listed as a Barman.

I got a death certificate for Edwin Albert Treadwell which matches as his death was registered in 1916 by his widow, Annie E Treadwell, and the residence of the informant was the same as her address at Robert's birth 6 years earlier.

The only issue I have is: On the birth certificate for Edwin Albert Treadwell, his parents are listed as Henry and Margaret. This is supported by census returns which don't appear to have an Edwin born to an Edwin.

The only discrepency is the father's name on the marriage certificate. Can I safely presume that that was an error?

Thanks in advance ...

Jo
    :D Charney Jo

Are you sure you have the right birth certificate for your Edwin Treadwell?
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine

Not entirely but I don't really see any alternatives... The birth certificate is for Edwin Albert Treadwell. I got 'Albert' as a middle name from the death certificate (which seems to match).

Nowhere else is 'Albert' mentioned as a middle name ...

Comment

It is very easy for that sort of mistake to be made.
        The sort of things you could look for to prove things to your complete satisfaction are:

Electoral roll at time of marriage, if Edwin married from his father's house.
        School records for Edwin
        Birth certificates for any known siblings
        Parents' death certificates (son might be informant)
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I can see what you mean - the 1891 census shows the family living in Bordesley - and father Henry´s occupation is Caster´s labourer - which matches in nicely with the 1910 marriage.
          Elaine

Comment

Hi Phoenix

Yes, I know. That's what I was doing by getting this Edwin Albert's birth and death certs. It all fits ... except that father listed on the marriage cert. I was hoping as I couldn't find a matching Edwin being the son of an Edwin on the census, it might just be right.

I know Robert had 2 siblings but I think that they were both adopted ...!

Comment

Does it make any difference that I got the marriage cert from the GRO?

It is all written in the same hand - more chance for an error in copying across from the original register ?????

Comment

taking a slightly differnt tack

There is an Edwin Tredwell christened mar 1844 warwick

he marries an Elizabeth Perkins in 1861

both of these evens happen in Warwick - are they connected??
                Jess

Comment

I have got 3 children - their father is William but dies before any of them get married. Only the youngest on her wedding banns called him Daniel not William - is there any significence in this error?!!! I think it was just an error on the day

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I would look at the original register. There are TWO Treadwell marriages with the same reference - I assume brothers?

The odds are that they sign each others' certs as witnesses.
                    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I am still as unsure as before

Jess, my ancestry is playing up at the mo but I think I looked at the Warwick ones and discounted them ...

There was an Edward who was born in Aston in 1886 who was the son of another Edward (and I know from my family that Edward and Edwin can be interchangable) but they are a family of butchers.

Phoenix, I can't see the 2 references. How do I see that?

Thanks ;)

Comment

Alternatively, could it be father and son? Margaret Hindmarsh Treadwell died in 1905

Comment

Hi

I'm being booted off the internet now by my DH. Will check back tomorrow in case there are any further replies.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jo

Comment

It's me being silly, because it's late at night. I was looking at the Edward not the Edwin.

I ought to know better: I have Edwins and Edmunds in my family and other people muddle them the whole time.

Comment

Hi Phoenix

Just saw your reply. Margaret Hindmarsh Treadwell was Henry's wife. They married in 1866.

See, it all seems to fit and - could it just be that the name on the register is wrong? Would I get a different certificate (i.e. the original) if I get a copy from a local record office? (Of course, if it was registered wrongly then there is no helping me!)

Comment

Jo, it might be worth getting the local register office cert and / or the parish register copy (assuming they married in a church?) to check what it says for father's name on there, because it could be that it was written correctly on those ones and wrongly on the GRO one.

One of my OH's ancestors has the wrong father's name on her marriage cert too, and although I am sure I've found the right parents for her, there is always that tiny nagging doubt!
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Try phoning the LOCAL RO and asking them what the name is on the original.

As you have already bought a copy of the cert, there shouldn't be a charge for this!

OC

Comment

I've just noticed that the Treadwells live next door to the Seals in 1891.

Given that, I cannot believe that Edwin is other than the son of Henry.... unless there's another Annie Seal as well:D

Comment

Probably totally unconnected but i know there is a tree on GR (tree owner is Louise) who has done a lot of work into the surname, i do know that she has Edwin, Albert, Arthur and Edward entries in her tree and that the names did get shuffled round (dropping the first name and using the second for instance on documents).

It is her fathers side of the family that has the surname and they are in and around the Wellingboro/Coventry areas and possibly into the Birmingham area too.

It might be worth nosing through a name search on there to see any potential matches though i don't think Louise is a member anymore.

By the look of it some of the entries appear in other trees too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

My parents marriage cert which is the origingal said that her father was Alfred when it is Arthur but they lived on Alfred St and he obviously got mixed up. Mum and Dad are still alive and getting on a bit so I never mentioned it to them as I only borrowed it to get a copy for my files. Anyone in the future would have difficulty with that fortunately I knew my Grandad.

I have no idea if they ever spotted it as to be honest you don't look at your own certs very often.

Lin
                                        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Working...
                                        X