Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at the 1881 Canadian census

Is bringing tears to my eyes.

It looks as if half of Edgefield, Norfolk, England is all settled together in the wilds of Canada. I run my eyes down the names, and I've seen their parents, uncles and aunts in the parish registers, so it feels like meeting old friends.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

I wonder if it's a similar situation to what happened in Downton, Wiltshire. In 1835 - 1836, the parish seems to have decided that the burden of supporting the poor was too great and that it would be cheaper to pay the fare and send some of them to Canada rather than keep them on parish relief. About 200 people from Downton, Wiltshire and another 38 from neighbouring Whiteparish took advantage of the opportunity and were shipped to Canada and, I think, settled in Elgin County, Ontario.
    Jenny

Comment

There was a move to populate Canada AND relieve individual parishes of the burden of their paupers.

MH12 at TNA has lists of the some of the paupers. My Skillings left early in 1840, with three small boys, one of whom was a babe in arms. These Norfolk people went to Oxford County and 40 years on there has been a slight spreading out, but still all the surnames and Christian names too are really familiar.

The Skillings did their very best to populate Canada and as James Skillings had eight sons, he suceeded pretty well!
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
      X