how much would £200 be worth from 1806

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much would £200 be worth from 1806

just downloaded a will from NA for £3.50. A bit disappointing as all it says is that he left his personal estate to his wife for her own personal use or benefit. But at the side it say £200 so I guess thats what it was worth. TRied to find the site that compares money but couldnt find it.

Hi Gloryer

The NA have a money converting section & it says it would be worth £6,792.00 in today's money

Take a break | Currency converter | Old money to new

Joanie

Comment

thanks Joan. Quite a bit really then . Was disappointed as I had hoped it was a bit more detailed. i.e. mentioning his children or siblings etc.

Comment

Have you checked his wife didn't make a will too?

In my experience women's wills are far more helpful! lol

Comment

Such currency converters are not worth bothering with.
          Try the following test yourself.

Take the sum of £10 in 1810 convert that to today's money
          That equates to £339.60 in today's money according to the given site.

Now use the other converter to convert the 339.60 back to 1810 money
          That equates to 66 days wage for a craftsman in the building trade.
          No craftsman today would work for 339,60 per week let alone 339.60 for over two months work.

Due to the changes involved in goods and services such conversions are meaningless.
          Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

So what would be more useful would be a list of dates (every ten years, or whatever) with what different people would have earned at those dates.....Then we would know what it meant for a given person to receive amount X in a will.....it might mean an extra years wage, or whatever.

Anyone know where this sort of info might be found?

Comment

That equates to 66 days wage for a craftsman in the building trade.
              I've just realised......that's very precise, Guy!

Where did you get that figure? Looks like you must have access to something to help us.......

Comment

On the converter site I use £200 is £12,518.67 - they base their on the Retail Price Index.
                Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Wills of married men are often disappointing. Try to find the will of one of their unmarried/widowed brothers or sisters. They frequently mention nephews and neices!

Anne

Comment

Working...
                  X