Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needred re. Ukrainian who came to GB in 1940s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needred re. Ukrainian who came to GB in 1940s.

I have been asked by a friend to see if I can find anything out about his father who was originally from the Ukraine. I will not post his names as I have not yet received the okay to do this from my friend.

The only information he has is that his father was born in the Ukraine and came over to the UK in the late 1940s. Apparently the father had spent the war in Germany (perhaps as forced labour??) and then came to Scotland and then on to Bury where he met a local girl and married, the product of which was my friend. He knows very very little of his father’s history. Whilst I assume that no Ukrainian records survive, there may be a chance that he filled out some form of registration card when he came to the UK giving his D.O.B and birthplace. Even scant details as to his life in the Ukraine would be of great solace to my friend. Can anyone suggest where I can look? Is there likely to be records at Kew? I am a frequent visitor to the NA as I am a military researcher.

With thanks
    Ralph

morning Ralph...yes ..i think i can help...my f.i.law was from the Ukraine...in 1945/46 just after the war ,45000 ukrainean prisoners of war were sent to England to maintain english farms...because of the russians invading ukraine,when russia were at war with germany in ww2,the ukraines fought for the Germans because they wanted the russians out of their country....most fought in Italy for the Germans....there is a lot of info about this if you google ukranian pows in england.....as far as your friends fathers details,its sad to say that "ukranian pows" were considered "communists" and my Father in law had to report to the local police station EVERY friday evening to declare in writing that he was not a member of the communist party...all records of these pows are very hush hush....there is a site
    Ukraine.com - Travel Ukraine, Book a hotel in Ukraine - Ukraine if you go to this there is a thread for genealogy....there is a professor from Kiev University who tries to help people researching their Ukranian ancestors.....hope this helps,but I must warn you...my father in law was born in 1928 in Rogatyn,Ukraine.....but I have tried for 6 years to find his family...with NO SUCCESS...so it will take a lot of research,and I sincerely hope you find what you are researching...good luck...any questions ,pm me....allan;)
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

His mariage cert should give the name and occupation of his father which may help. If he is dead his birthdate and place of birth should be on his death certificate.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If he was naturalised, there may be a record of the naturalisation in the National Archives:

Search the archives | Search the archives

Naturalisation
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-08-08, 15:55.

Comment

Many thanks to all who responded with their help in this matter. I'll check things with my friend and see if he has his father's death certificate. I'll also try and get to Kew soon.

Allan - thanks for the offer of help. I'll explore the avenues I have listed above and then if I am still stuck, will get back to you.

All best,
          Ralph

Comment

Working...
          X