Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribal Pages

Help!!!

I was just adding someone onto one of my tribal pages family tree when the computer coughed and now I can't even find my tribal pages web pages for 2 of my trees - the other one is ok.

It says 404 error

I can get onto the Family Trees - Genealogy & Family History ok but the link back to my page is broken.

What can I do?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Try going to the search page and searching for one of the names in your tree:

TribalPages.com - Search

That will bring up a link to your tree, which should hopefully work.

Comment

Unfortunately it doesn't - I get the same message whichever way I try

HTTP 404 The Webpage can't be found

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

That's odd - could you have deleted the tree by mistake?

Comment

Yes its very strange -

I'd just clicked for it to save the additional info and it took forever - very slow and then it changed but didn't come up with the edited page.

I haven't been on tribal pages for quite awhile and I've got 3 trees on there - 1 paid and the 2 free.

The biggest is the paid one which I was working on. The second biggest is also displaying the same message but the third and smallest is fine.

So haven't touched the second one at all.

I wonder if the glitch has erased both trees - I do hope not.

Comment

Well I don't know what it was -

but have just tried again and everything is there for both trees.

What a relief

Comment

Whew - glad they came back for you JBee!

I have never tried editing my trees on Tribal Pages - I always just upload a fresh gedcom from my Legacy programme. After your experience, I think I'll keep to my system!
              Gillian
              User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I have backed it up on there - but if you can't access the page I don't think that's any use.

I haven't got a genealogy programme as I split my research into 3 different family trees and want to keep them separate.

However I do keep a paper copy - which reminds me I must print off the latest version.

Comment

JBee, you can still have your tree on a family history program on your own pc and keep it separate from other branches of your tree.

I currently have 12 trees running on Family Tree Maker - only one of which is mine! As long as they are all named differently then there is no problem.
                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine

I may look at that once the wedding is over and the visitors from Oz have gone back home.

Mind you I like Tribal Pages and I think they've altered it slightly too - didn't take too much notice last night as to what had changed so when I have time will have another look.

Comment

JBee

You should always have your master copy of your tree/trees on your own computer.
                      Any website could cease its availability tomorrow. There would be nothing you could do about it.

You can get a free download from the family tree search website of PAF or free Legacy.
                      FTM is available for about £10-15.

All you do is import a gedcom from your tribal pages tree or whatever you have it on.

Comment

I see it the other way round, Margaret - my computer could self-destruct any minute! But I download my tree from the website regularly and back it up.
                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Maybe Kate

But I also back up to an external hard drive and a flash drive. Something has to work amongst that lot surely.

I also have Internet back up on FTM

Comment

I think the best solution is to have the master copy of your tree on a family tree program on your own computer, but upload a copy regularly to a website or flash drive in case your hard drive packs up.

If you have FTM you can use their site; otherwise you can upload to GR or Tribal Pages, or possibly Ancestry. I upload mine to GR, TP and FTF about once a month. TP has the advantage that family members don't need a paid subscription to view the tree.

Comment

Hi Jay Bee
                              Try How system administrators can troubleshoot an "HTTP 404 - File not found" error message on a server that is running IIS
                              this tells you whats wrong
                              If you have ay problems from computers to plumbing and so on if you ask Google someone has the same problem!!!
                              Yorkshirelad

Comment

Working...
                              X