Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Images of Canadian 1881 census now online

Introduction - Census of Canada, 1881 - Library and Archives Canada

The one name I've checked so far has shown up an entry which didn't appear on the FamilySearch results for 1881.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Ooh, thank you! Gillian.

So good to see the actual entry.

And does anyone know, is that final column REALLY the date of any operation?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks for that Gillian.

By the way, I only recently realised that the 1891 Canadian census is now on Ancestry (world sub required for it though).

Richard

Comment

Oh thanks for that.
        I can now see that my 2x ggfather, transcribed on the IGI site as a Carpenter - is actually an Engineer, which fits in nicely with his normal occupation of RN Engineer! I couldn't quite make out why he suddenly changed his occupation during his short spell in Canada!
        Elaine

Comment

Phoenix - this is what the site says about that column

Column 20

Dates of Operation and Remarks-Comments were to be made only in very special cases. At the end of the day, this is where the enumerator entered the day's date.
          Richard - thanks for that. I didn't know the 1891 was on Ancestry. Yet another of those times when I wish I could afford the world sub!

lol Elaine. Glad you solved a mystery!

I love the fact that I can now look at the others living in the same small townships - hopefully I'll be able to spot a few stray cousins.

I have found that the spelling of both fore- and surnames was quite "creative" so I think the searching will be a slow process.
          Gillian
          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Thanks for that, Gillian. So it's just the enumerator signing and dating the entry! A little less exciting than I hoped, but makes far more sense!

And presumably there were some parts of Canada that simply could not be reached on the formal census date.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
            X