Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The winner of WDWTYA? 7th August 2008 is.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The winner of WDWTYA? 7th August 2008 is.....

Trina

Well done Trina!

Well done Trina, Hope all your walls come tumbling down

]

Comment

Just found this!

I'm so sorry - I just found this! Am I too late? I'll come back later today - have to go out for a couple of hours.

Can't believe it - I never win anything!!

Will check in later

Many thanks

Trina

Comment

lol Trina! You still have from now until Thursday with this thread stuck at the top of the board and after that the thread will still remain on this board, but will drop down if there are no posts.

Good luck with your brick wall, or whatever!!

Comment

I'm not sure if anyone can help with this one. It is what I am working on at the moment.

First of all I have a marriage certificate:

Sep 29th 1856 The Parish Church in the Parish of St. Mary in the City of Chester
          Peter Kendrick (22 or 32) bachelor Fitter from Handbridge Father Edward Kendrick also a Fitter
          Eliza Holden 31 Widow from Handbridge father Thomas Jones Joiner
          Witnesses - can only make out one name William Roberts

I would love to know who the Holden she was married to was and to find out more about Peter Kendrick.

I have him on the censuses after he married (and only recently tracked him down on one)

1861 Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 2628; Folio: 22; Page: 17; GSU roll: 543002.
          Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3733; Folio: 114; Page: 22; GSU roll: 842131.

He died 20 Nov 1871 in Lower Bridge Street of consumption. I have the cert somewhere.

I'll post this now - but going through it all has set me off on another track! Shows how reviewing things and trying to put them in a logical order can help! I'll check back later.

Many thanks to anyone who has a go.

I have his family fairly well covered in the later censuses and I'll add more info soon in case it helps.

Trina

Comment

Peter Kendrick was buried in Overleigh Cemetry in Grave P4500

Also in the same grave are:

Elizabeth Kendrick 98 years old died 15/10/1885 (widow of John Kendrick)

Sarah Acton 79years old died 18/8/1897

I am going to check an "iffy" census record that I found to see if there is any connection.

Comment

The Kendrick-Holden marriage is listed on the Cheshire parish register site:

The second witness is Mary Anne Hoare.

Unfortunately Eliza's first marriage isn't there.

These are the only Eliza(beth) Jones - Holden marriages in the right time frame (1840-1856):

Marriages Dec 1845
              HOLDEN Hewarth Liverpool 20 265
              Marriages Mar 1846
              Holden Howard Ashton Kings Norton 18 429
              Marriages Sep 1846
              Holden John Manchester 20 573
              Marriages Jun 1849
              Holden Thomas Stockport 19 235
              Marriages Jun 1855
              HOLDEN Green Bolton 8c 294

The Thomas Holden marriage might be promising, as it's in Cheshire, where she was in 1861, and there are a couple of Thomas Holden deaths in Stockport between 1849 and 1856.

OC is the Holden expert around here - I wonder if she has Eliza in her database?

Comment

I am getting very confused by some of the things that I have found.

This 1851 census "could" be relevant, but the ages seem wrong.

John Bridgewater21 Elizabeth Jones19 Jane Jones54 Robert Jones54 Elizabeth Kendricks17 Fanny Kendricks21 Peter Kendricks20 Harriett Randles13

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2503; Folio: 522; Page: 41; GSU roll: 104270-104271.

I hoped it may be "my" Peter visiting his future wife.

However, there is a Harriet Randles there and the name crops up again in 1861

NameAgeAnn Jones55 Catherine Jones13 Ellen Jones10 John Jones39 Owen G Jones6 Mary J Randles20 This time it is at the home of John Jones. He is a solicitor in Wrexham and uncle to Robert Kendrick. I know from Peter Kendrick's will that he is brother to Eliza Jones/ Holden / Kendrick.

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 4287; Folio: 77; Page: 22; GSU roll: 543261

Robert later goes to Wrexham and becomes a solicitor working in partnership with his uncle.

The name Bridgewater is also linked.

I have just got a birth certificate for another "visitor" child , Charles Owen, who appears to be living with John Jones later and the father is Owen Glyndwr Jones.

From that I hope to soon receive a marriage certificate for Owen G Jones and ascertain who his father is.

Is this all far too complicated?

Perhaps I should try to find something else for people to investigate?

It is just that I am sure that I am on the right track, but can't tie up all the pieces.

Comment

This is a possible for Eliza in 1851 (born Wrexham, right age, living in Tarvin, near Chester):

Class: HO107; Piece: 2171; Folio: 352; Page: 18

Comment

Sorry, just seen your post no. 8, so that one's probably irrelevant.

Comment

Mary that's amazing! How did you get the witness name? Now I can see it! Which Parish Register site?? I use the BMD one, but had no idea there is another.

This is wonderful.

I will check out those Holdens - wonder why I didn't find them before :(

Comment

That 1851 census you found does look interestng, but her father's name's wrong, and where does the Holden marriage fit in?

Comment

Originally posted by Trina View Post
                          Mary that's amazing! How did you get the witness name? Now I can see it! Which Parish Register site?? I use the BMD one, but had no idea there is another.
                          Sorry, forgot to post the link to it. It's only for Cheshire, and a bit clunky to navigate:

CPRdb - Version v3.3 - 7 March 2005

I will check out those Holdens - wonder why I didn't find them before :(
                          I got that list by entering Jones Eliza as the bride and Holden as the groom on FreeBMD.

Comment

I am fairly sure that the Green Holden one isn't it as I have been in touch with his researcher and he has another Eliza Jones for him.

As you say, the Cheshire one is most promising.

I think she probably comes from Wrexham like her brother, even though she says Handbridge on the wedding cert.

Comment

This is hard to say, but I am beginning to wonder if I have the correct wedding cert for Peter Kendrick and Eliza Jones.

Is it possible that there could be another marriage between Eliza Jones and Peter Kendrick? Why would the ages be so far out?

Comment

Yes, I was puzzled about the ages. And a joiner's son getting to be a solicitor is a bit surprising.

Where did the names of Peter Kendrick and Eliza Jones originally come from? One of their children's birth certs?

I'm off to eat in a minute - I'll have another think about it later.

Comment

Had you seen this marriage?

It needs checking on the censuses to see who married whom.

Marriages Sep 1853
                                  JONES Elizabeth Liverpool 8b 237
                                  Kendrick Peter Liverpool 8b 237
                                  LOVATT Ellen Liverpool 8b 237
                                  RAWLINSON John Liverpool 8b 237

Comment

You are right - it is the wrong father's name. I suppose her mother could have remarried to a brother .......?

No Holden connection - assumed she hadn't married him at that point. She is 19 there I think.

Peter Kendrick is a baker after he marries her. I wonder how someone goes from "fitter" to fully fledged baker - with his own premises. Another reason I am doubting the cert.

Comment

Mary that looks a good possibility It could be! Liverpool is so close.

I came across a reference to the Kendricks possibly being connected to "Dean Mills". I googled it, but couldn't find anything. If they are flour mills it would explain the occupation of Baker.

I have to check on dinner now too.

You are really amazing!

Many thanks

Trina

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                        Had you seen this marriage?

It needs checking on the censuses to see who married whom.

Marriages Sep 1853
                                        JONES Elizabeth Liverpool 8b 237
                                        Kendrick Peter Liverpool 8b 237
                                        LOVATT Ellen Liverpool 8b 237
                                        RAWLINSON John Liverpool 8b 237
                                        No need to check censuses - it is on Lancashire BMD and Peter Kendrick married Elizabeth Jones (at Liverpool, St Luke).
                                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                                        X