Find a generation, lose a couple...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find a generation, lose a couple...

I spent today in London at the the LMA, First Ave House and Westminster Archives (and John Lewis but that's another story)
    At the LMA I found the baptism of my 4xgt grandfather and therefore gained a generation with his parents . I found the wills I wanted really easily and reading them on the train I noticed on one dated 1864 that Dinah had left an amount to her daughter Sarah... the same Sarah that I had dead in 1835...you've guessed it - I've been following the wrong family Two generations off the tree.! And the other wiill had left all his wordly goods to (£28. 10s!) to his friend, so no mention of family - is he mine? I'm still not sure.... And at the Westminster Archive I merely confirmed a few marriages and baptisms. A day of mixed results... But I did enjoy it:D
    Sue

Sounds like a fruitful day - if disconcerting!

It reminds me that I have a few similar trips to make sometime!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Sounds a very crowded day Sue and like most researchers you found out some stuff which meant you had to start from scratch again.

I go to the LMA fairly often and also want to go to Westminster Archives again, only been once. But its my ex's family who are in Westminster, so concentrating on my lot at the moment.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Sounds a brilliant day, Sue. I'm impressed that you crammed so much in. (And I'm jealous that you managed to get to First Avenue House - it is so much easier than using film or fiche!)
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Haven't been to First Ave House yet. Was it easy to use, Sue?
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

It was a very busy day I must admit! but I was very focussed (most unusual, lol) - I knew what I wanted to find and where I hoped to find it and luckily I was right.
            It was my first visit to First Avenue House and yes it's really easy. There are several huge volumes for each year and the wills/admons are listed alphabetically by the deceased's surname. You fill out a form, pay your money and wait for an hour and hey presto a will appears! Again I did know that the wills existed so that cut down my time there.
            Even though finding one of the wills meant that I lost a part of my tree I feel strangely satisified that I did find out and should I ever work who Sarah's real family are I will be even happier! Watch out for appeals for help:D
            Sue

Comment

Working...
            X