Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find the birth Reg

Where are all the super searchers?

I have been contacted by a Titchmarsh researcher regarding Alice Maud Martha Titchmarsh (name given at marriage)

She married in 1908 to Frank Blows
    1901 she is a servant in Bedford using the name Martha Titchamarsh (b.1879 Leeds, Yorkshire) -RG13; Piece: 1488; Folio: 162; Page: 24
    1891 She is living with her father and step mother in Croydon, Cambs, Name Martha Maud Titchmarsh (b.1877 Leeds, Yorkshire) - RG12; Piece: 1277; Folio 45; Page 14
    1881 living with father, mother and siblings in Croydon, Cambsusing the name Martha Titchmarsh (b.1877 Leeds, Yorkshire) - RG11; Piece: 1654; Folio: 75; Page: 17

I have checked and I can't see any likely birth registrations for her, can anyone see anything I can't

Thanks
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

There's a Sarah Jane b 1884 Whitkirk, Leeds showing on Yorks BMD (Yorkshire Births Marriages & Deaths), but nothing to match that name.

Christine

PS - I browsed some later dates and it looks as if Sarah Jane were the eldest of a family - a number of sons following, in Whitkirk and then Boston Spa.
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 07-08-08, 18:42.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for looking Christine, she seems to have been the only one of her siblings born in Yorkshire all the rest were Cambridgeshire
      Vikki -

Comment

I've had a quick look, and I can't see anything obvious.

Comment

The only Maud Martha (on FreeBMD index), b Leeds area at the right sort of date (1879) had the surname Hibbert, and it looks as if Elizabeth's maiden name were LOUGHTON.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

don't bother googling "alice maud martha titchmarsh" as there is only one hit in the whole world ...
            Rose

Comment

I think this is probably her.

Alice Maud M. TIPMARSH

1st qrt 1877, Leeds. vol 9b, page 639.

Comment

That looks very plausible. She shows up on the Yorks site, too, in Kirkstall.

Christine

Comment

There's an Ellen Jane TIPMARSH, b Kirkstall in 1875, too. She died in 1876.

Those are the only two people of that surname with births, deaths, or marriages transcribed so far between 1837 and 2006, on that site.

Christine
                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 07-08-08, 22:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                    There's an Ellen Jane TIPMARSH, b Kirkstall in 1875, too.

Those are the only two people of that surname with births transcribed so far between 1837 and 2006, on that site.

Christine
                    Ellen Jane died the following year, so she could be a sister.

Comment

I am a bit puzzled as to why only the one child was born in yorkshire the eldest downwards were all born in Cambs. Obviously she is not using the right name or she as also born in the same place as all the other children!!!
                      GWEN

Comment

I just had a look on Ancestry.co.uk

Doing a basic search (i.e. no wildcards)... I just put in the surname TIPMARSH. The three records I found on the Yorks site are the only hits. Not even a census! Nothing else at all.

Christine

Comment

I've been looking on Ancestry and IGI for a while now and cannot find anything using all the three christian names
                          GWEN

Comment

I think that the TIPMARSHes must be yours. Maybe the registrar was deaf!

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
                              I've been looking on Ancestry and IGI for a while now and cannot find anything using all the three christian names
                              Gwen, See post #7!

Comment

Sorry everyone, had to sign off last night,

Thanks for searching, it does look quite possible - will have to get the lady to order the birth certificate to confirm parents.

I wonder why she used the name Martha, maybe she didn't like Alice?

Thanks again
                                Vikki -

Comment

feedback from Yorks BMD

Ian Hartas (Yorks BMD webmaster) has, very kindly, followed up the TIPMARSH questions - and taken the time to let me know the outcome...

8 Aug 08
                                  There are several possibilities...
                                  I'll ask the Leeds RO if they can check the TIPMARSH entries, but if that is
                                  what is written on the original register, then the index must remain that way too.
                                  As you noted, the original registrar probably wrote what he heard and if the
                                  people could not read or write, then they would not have known their name
                                  had been entered incorrectly -- nor may they have cared.
                                  Today, he tells me:
                                  Leeds Register Office have examined the original registers and this is
                                  their response:

have looked in the book for both and the surname is Tipmarsh - both
                                  children of Thomas and Elizabeth Tipmarsh (nee Lowden)
                                  One of my earlier posts said that Elizabeth's maiden name seemed to be LOUGHTON (going on the likely marriage record: 1864 q4 Caxton 3b-1032). I reckon that TIPMARSH/LOWDON is phonetically very close to TITCHMARSH/LOUGHTON.

Christine
                                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 19-08-08, 19:18.

Comment

That sounds like a great outcome.
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                    X