2 certificates from the GRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 certificates from the GRO

The day before yesterday I received a copy of a marriage certificate (for a certain HW Wicks). It was typewritten.

Yesterday I received another copy of it from the GRO, this time a larger one which is a photocopy of a handwritten version of the same certificate.

On the green form which came with the second certificate, in the box which says "date of marriage" there was written "X - (Allow)".

I just thought this was a bit odd.

(I always guess at a date in the right quarter when I fill these forms in, as it doesn't seem to let you proceed unless you put in a full date)
    Joan died in July 2020.

Joan, if you are ordering from the GRO then the only information you need to put in is
    Year / Quarter / Registration district / Volume / Page no.

If you have this information then you must remember to tick the box on the first page, which says you have the full GRO reference.
    There should be no need to guess at dates.
    Cost of certificate = £7
    Elaine

Comment

unless you are ordering certificates past a certain date. (not sure what the date is)

As then you need full information, date etc

This is to protect people who may still be living
      Researching the following names:Clarke, Littlejohns, Mansfield, Michelin, Anderson, Marr, Newlands, Shiells, Paterson, Taylor, Catleugh, Thomson, Rutherford, Cullen, Dowling, Douglas and many more
      My family tree
      In search of my Elusive G Grandfather - Grosvenor Ashford Clarke - A Dramatic Actor

Comment

Hallo Joan

On the first page of the cert ordering process it asks

Is the General Register Office Index known? (Explanation) Yes No

the GRO index ref is the year, quarter, registration district, volume & page numbers.

If you tick yes its £7.

They do require exact date of death certs for more recent events - I presume this is so that you don't assume a dead person's identity for fraud purposes.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I didn't notice them giving me the option - but suspect they did & I didn't notice!

I do feel silly :o:o:o:o

It's still odd that they sent the certificate in too different formats - I hope they haven't charged me twice!
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I am now completely mortified with embarrassment!:o:o:o:o and sorry to have wasted people's time.

I got it all wrong!!

The GRO didn't send me two certificates after all!!!

Last weekend I sent for the certificate from Brighton Register Office, which came very quickly, having completely forgotten that a few weeks early, I had for some strange reason also applied to the GRO for it...... so the one from Brighton arrived on Tuesday and the GRO one arrived yesterday

Oh dear..........
            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Joan

That's made me feel very superior!

Only joking, I;ve often been on the verge of ordering something I've already got!!!
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Oh Joan - no need to feel embarrassed.
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks Nell and Elaine -

I think I need a secretary!!.. or maybe a brain!:D
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Think we've all been there - not quite certain what we've sent for and what not - especially as some of mine have come back with an email saying they aren't going to send the certificate because its the wrong one.

Anyway with all the saga on the other thread I'm not surprised your head is a bit befuddled!!! (been following the saga with great interest).

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Feeling a bit better now

Thanks JBee
                      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I ordered a death cert and when it came it was the wrong one. Right name, wrong person.
                        A few weeks later I decided to search again and ordered another one.

When it came, it was again not the right person. Trouble is, it was the same one as last time.

Wrong cert yes, we've all done that, but the same one twice?????? :o

Comment

It's very easily done, Joan. I haven't done it myself with certs, but last week I spent £3.50 on a will from TNA, only to discover that I'd got it months ago and forgotten all about it.

With certs, I now have a Word table which lists all the ones I want to get, and I tick them off as I get them.

Comment

Yes, sadly the same certificate ordered twice in the space of a couple of weeks! - And then I post a thread about it!! And why on earth would I have ordered it from the GRO when it is a Brighton marriage and I know that Brighton Register Office normally deals with requests by return?

Only reason I can think of is that I am going bonkers!!!:D
                            Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 07-08-08, 19:18.
                            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
                              Only reason I can think of is that I am going bonkers!!!:D

With what is going on in your head it is understandable you would get confused.

Never mind eh!

Comment

Working...
                              X