Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Bermade DONAGHLY be Bernard DONAGHLLY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Bermade DONAGHLY be Bernard DONAGHLLY?

Searching GenesReunited for DONAGHLY I found only one census entry.

BERMADE DONAGHLY age 21 Colchester First Ward, Colchester. I calculate his DoB as 1840 (Arn't I the clever one?)

The first name is typed but looks very odd. Could it be BERNARD? A strong possibility.

Could he be my BARNARD DONAGHLLY, age 6 hence born 1835, who appears in the 1841 Census in Crosshouse, Ayrshire?

What do you think?

Hugo

If it was an ancestry transcription then very possibly.

Have had some howlers with them.

Have you looked at subsequent census's to confirm or eliminate him?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I think you would need to look at the actual image of the census entry, to be honest. I haven't really used the census transcriptions on GR so I don't know how accurate they are, but I'm sure there is no such name as Bermade.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Ancestry have transcribed the same record thus: Bernard Donaghey and he was born Ireland abt 1840. He was a private in the army.

Comment

Many thanks for the comments, especially Monty.

It is becoming a stronger possibility as I know that the DONAGHLLY of the 1841 census became Donachy in the 1851 census. Donachy and Donaghey are close enough to be acceptable variants.

However, the year of birth does not exactly match although rounding error might mean the mismatch is only 3 years, not 5. Bad memory could explain the 3 year discrepancy. (I got my year of marriage wrong when I registered the birth of one of my children.)

This has opened a new line of enquiry for me.

Delving into English and Army records is new territory for me.

Hugo

Comment

I would be doubtful it's him as there are loads of possibles in Scotland, some of whom are miners as he was in 1851.

Unless you know what happened to him, such as marrying a girl from Colchester, or some such!

Comment

Hi Monty,

I have had no trace of him after the 1841 census.

Where and how did you find him in 1851?

The army connection is a very plausible reason for him being in Colchester.

I am still hoping.

Hugo

Comment

Erm.......1841 Scotland:

Barney Donaghlley 35 ag lab b Ireland
                Hugh Donaghlley 16 b Ireland
                James Donaghlley 16 b Ireland
                Agnes Donaghlley 15 b Ireland
                Mary Donaghlley 10 b Ireland
                Elinor Donaghlley 8 b Ireland
                Bainaby Donaghlley 6 b Ireland
                Catharine Donaghlley 3 b Ireland

Address: Crosshouse, Kilmaurs, Ayrshire

1851 Scotland:

Barnard Donachy 40 Labourer At Coal Pit b Derry, Ireland
                Ally Donachy 36 b Derry Ireland
                Helen Donachy 18 Wool Spinner b Derry, Ireland
                Barnard Donachy 15 Coal Miner b Derry, Ireland
                Catherine Donachy 13 b Derry Ireland
                Unity Shirkie 48 Visitor b Derry, Ireland

Address: Soulis Street, Kilmarmock, Ayrshire

Comment

Sorry Monty. I should not work from memory!

I still think he is a strong possibility because of the DONAGHLY spelling in GR.

Hugo

Comment

Hugo, you need to look at the actual census image to see what (you think) it actually says, as I said before, not go by how one particular website has transcribed it.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I'd say the spelling on the census page is:

Bernard Donaghey

The spelling is pretty irrelevent though as the name would have been spelled however the army person filling in the form thought it should be spelled!

The fact the army think he is 19 would bother me a lot. Some people might lie about their age wehn joining up, but usually they would add on some years, not take them off!

Comment

There's a Bernard Donaghy on the 1861 and 1871 Scottish census, born Ireland (1836-ish) and an ironstone miner.

Comment

KiteRunner,

You are quite right of course. Where possible, I try to get a copy of the original image.

However, you have got me thinking as to why there is the discrepancy between GR and Ancestry.

Are they working off the same original?
                          Are they using OCR? The GR first name looks like a typical OCR best effort.

Being unused to working with English records I was, and am, going to wait till I go to the local computer club where the Genealogy Section has an account with Ancestry. There will be experienced and helpful users there.

Hugo

Comment

As Merry says, the 1861 English census image definitely says Donaghey.

GR and Ancestry would be working from the same original images, with different transcribers. I haven't heard that they're using OCR, but some of the transcriptions are so bad I wouldn't be surprised.

What makes you think the Donaghlly spelling is correct? I thought Scottish census images weren't available?

As many people didn't know how to spell their own names, and even if they did the spelling was often mangled by the enumerator or the transcriber, you shouldn't really place too much importance on it.

Comment

I thought Scottish census images weren't available?
                              I think you can see them via Scotlands People.

But in any case, the spellings are definitely not a pointer to the entry being for the correct person!

Comment

I viewed the image through SP and gently queried the spelling; they checked the original and confirmed that they had correctly transcribed what was written.

Hugo

Comment

I thought it was the Colchester spelling you were questioning?

Comment

Hi Merry,
                                    "There's a Bernard Donaghy on the 1861 and 1871 Scottish census . . "

Can't find the one in the 1861 census.

I have found the one in the 1871 census
                                    Bernard Donaghy 34 Iron Stone Miner Ireland
                                    Bridget 25 Irerland
                                    Anny 5 Cumnock, Ayrshire
                                    John 3
                                    Mary ? weeks
                                    John Hughes 35 Lodger Iron Stone Miner Ireland
                                    However, I don't think he is the one because the eldest son is John. The paternal grandfather was Bernard.

Thanks anyway,

Hugo

Comment

I'm not into this naming patterns thing as I don't have any in my family!

How do you know John was the eldest son though??!!!!!

Comment

I suppose it's likely the 1861 couple were married in Ireland, so that's another reason they may not be yours!

How are you connected to the Donaghllys?

Comment

Working...
                                        X