Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas on this please? - sons and daughters in law.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas on this please? - sons and daughters in law.

Joseph Stinson wrote his will on the 11th April 1816.

He mentions the following people:

Sons: William, Joseph, Thomas, John, Robert and Richard
    Daughter: Elizabeth Gadsby

He also mentions his son in law: William Cooper
    daughters in law: Mary Page and Ann Ayre
    With Ann Ayre and Mary Page there is no "Husband of..."

Joseph died on the 17th April 1816 and is buried in Coleorton Churchyard, Leicestershire with his wife, Elizabeth who died 10th January 1822.

(Joseph born 1748, Elizabeth c1747) I have not got the marriage of Joseph and Elizabeth.

I know their son, Thomas Stinson was christened 2nd Jan 1782 in Whitwick, but do not know about any of the others.

I know Elizabethw was born c1791 in Coleorton, and they had another daughter who died 10 May 1797, aged 10 and is buried in Coleorton.

So, the thing that is niggling at me is the sons and daughters in law. There must have been more than one wife, but I do not know how I am going to sort this out.

I have a couple of possible burials for William and Joseph (the sons) but need to see if I can find a matching baptism for them. However, if the ones I have found are theirs then it means the list of the sons is not in order - does this matter?

Any thoughts or ideas are very welcome!

Tom

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

I don't think it matters in the least if the children are named out of order. There could be all sorts of reasons for this: affection, proximity, the type of bequest.

Wills merely have to be intelligible, uniquely defining people. Ann Page might be a widow, or the only Ann Page in town.

There could have been one marriage, but Elizabeth previously married to a Mr Cooper or half a dozen marriages.

Have you checked to see whether there is a marriage index covering the area and time span? If so, it would be worth asking for a look up.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I'm afraid there isn't Phoenix. I guess it will have to wait until I am able to get to the RO.

I am trying to work out the timings of it all. If the Elizabeth who is buried with Joseph was the same Elizabeth as is the mother of Ann (the earliest child that I know of at the moment) that means she was about 28 when she was born. However, I believe that three or four of the boys are actually older than Ann, but then again there could be two or three Elizabeth's.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Well there is a marriage index according to this link:

LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

The website is not brilliant and crucially does not tell yoy the periods covered, but you can't lose be emailing them a query at least.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

The IGI has a couple of entries for an Ann Cooper marrying a Thomas Ayre 11 Apr 1806 at Coleorton, but they are "submitted" so you would need to check in the PR's.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Phoenix - that database doesn't cover Whitwick, I have looked before when I was thinking of buying it.

Kate - that marriage is actually somewhere else in my tree (Thomas Stinson married an Ann Ayre). However, the Ann Cooper who married Thomas Ayre was the daughter of William and Sarah Cooper.

Comment

Working...
            X