A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum

I digressed to kook in GenesReunited for any thing on DONAGHLY.

One match for the 1861 Census for Colchester First Ward. No, that's not funny and is the subject of another post.

300 births, 300 marriages, and 300 deaths! Now that is funny, is it not. Funny peculiar perhaps, but funny.

I am still trying to work out what this implies!

Hugo

Well, if they are all real people then they were all born, married and died, which I think is unheard of in anybody's family tree, so it must be a mistake!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Isn't it just that GR will only give you a max of 300 matches if you search "Records" rather than "Trees"??

Search results for Donaghly in all records
      Census records
      1901 census 0 matches Refine search
      1891 census 0 matches Refine search
      1871 census 0 matches Refine search
      1861 census 1 matches View results Refine search
      1851 census 0 matches Refine search
      1841 census 0 matches Refine search
      Birth index
      From 1837 - 1983 300 matches View results Refine search
      From 1984 - 2002 0 matches Refine search
      Marriage index
      From 1984 - 2002 0 matches View results Refine search
      Death index
      From 1984 - 2002 0 matches View results Refine search
      Military
      World War 1 deaths 0 matches View results Refine search
      World War 2 deaths 0 matches View results Refine search

Refine Search

If you try "Smith" you get 300 for every result type!

Comment

There's definitely something wrong with the search facility. I searched it for a name that's definitely unique, and it still came up with 300 matches for BMDs (none in the censuses).

Comment

I wonder if they were all gypsies or itinerant workers and thus (?) missed out of each census. I don't really think so; am just clutching at straws.

Or has it something to do with me not having bought any credits with GR?

Mary, you disappoint me by having had a similar experience. I had visions of being in the Guinness Book of Records.

Hugo

Comment

Hi Mary

I suspect you will get 300 hits for bmd, no matter what the name. Because they will not be showing exact hits, as in freebmd, but the page on which a surname MIGHT occur.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

It's because it just finds the page ranges for the unindexed BMD's 1837-1983. Therefore it returns a record for each quarter of each year, whether or not your name is on the page - up to the maximum 300 (which seems to be the limit for GR searches).

Comment

Originally posted by Richard in Perth View Post
                It's because it just finds the page ranges for the unindexed BMD's 1837-1983. Therefore it returns a record for each quarter of each year, whether or not your name is on the page - up to the maximum 300 (which seems to be the limit for GR searches).
                Ah, right, that'd explain it - although in the case of BMDs within the FreeBMD date range you'd think they'd come up with proper hits.

Originally posted by Hugo View Post

Mary, you disappoint me by having had a similar experience. I had visions of being in the Guinness Book of Records.

Hugo

Sorry about that

Comment

Mary,

"Sorry about that"

I was believing you until I heard you laughing.

Hugo

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Now I know a bit more. All I have to do is remember it.

Hugo

Comment

I wouldn't bother trying to remember it - GR really isn't the best place to search.

For BMDs up to the early 1920s, FreeBMD is free. After that, you need Ancestry or Findmypast.

You can view the later images free on FreeBMD, but it takes an awfully long time.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Mary. I rarely visit GR and even then it is as a 'free' guest. Never felt I could justify buying credits.

Hugo

Comment

Working...
                        X