Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am i going off track....

Hiya

I have the b cert for my gfathers 1st wife Harriet Pedder b 1881, father Robert, in Galgate Lancaster.

I have her on the 1891 census in Galgate Lancaster, the name has been transcribed as Ladden.

I have her on the 1901 in Galgate Lancaster, she has 2 children now, i sent for the boys b cert - no father but the address ties in with the 1901 census.

I thought I found a marriage for her to John Eccles 1907 in Catteral Lancaster, but the age dosent tie in with all the other info i have she has given her age as 19, this would make her the same age as the 1901 census, surely in a small town like this there wasnt 2 Harriet Pedders in such a short space of time.

I thought by finding Harriets 1st marriage it would lead me to my Grandfathers marriage to her, kind people have looked for me to no avail.

Could she have knocked that many years of her age for this marriage or do i have the wrong cert

Any help or tips would be great please - Thankyou ;)
    Jacky

She could of knocked that many years off her age. How old was her first husband? If he was a lot younger than her then they may have made her a bit younger.

If you don't have her marriage to your grandfather are you going by her death certificate as to how old she was? Do you know for certain what her father's name was or are you going by the name on her first marriage cert?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Hiya Tom,

Yes, i am going by her b + d certs, and the census's all add up to this but on this marriage cert she is 6 yrs younger - she is down as 19 and the husband is down as 21.

Thankyou for your interest.
      Jacky

Comment

Hmmm, is interesting.

Seeing that he was younger than her I would say it was because they wanted to miss any scandal where people thought she was marrying a younger man.

However, if she was 19 she would have been a minor and have needed parental permission to marry - does her father's name match? and the occupation?

Was it a civil ceremony or in a church and who were the witnesses?

:D

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Tom, she had 2 children by the time she was 19 yrs old, i suppose that was shocking at the time..........

Yes, her father was Robert a labourer, this is also stated on this m cert.

The marriage was carried out in the Parish Church and the banns were called.

PS, (Job) how about the community police in your area .......dont know how old you have to be though Tom !
          Jacky

Comment

I would think it probably was her then, although if it was the parish church then the vicar would know she had the children (I would have thought) and could therefore work out she was older than 19?

Do the witnesses help at all?

PS the job - the police, no way! LOL. Not brave enought for that.

Comment

When do you believe that she may have got together with your grandad? (Whether they married or not!) Have you looked for a death for John?

Comment

I will see if i can find any info on the witnessess

I have found a d for John Eccless in 1911 Lancaster, she would have been with my Grandfather by 1912, she lost 2 babies then had my uncle 1915 then died in 1919.

Thankyou Tom
                Jacky

Comment

My G-g-mother, who was b Feb 1851, was only 26 when she married my almost-21-year-old G-g-father in March 1884!

She maintained that arithmetic discrepancy until at least the 1901 census, though was back on the strait and narrow by the time she died, I think.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Looking like it may be mine then........i wonder if the 2 children she had before she was married were his.....or someone elses !!

I have never found her marriage to my Granddad either, i have looked under the married name Eccles with no luck........

Thankyou Christine, so Harriet may have fibbed about her age.........Lol
                    Jacky

Comment

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but I think it IS very likely there were two women of the same name in the same small area, probably cousins or some other relationship.

It happens all the time in my tree. I have two James Holdens (cousins) marrying two Mary Slaters (aunt and niece) who both had sons called James Holden and registered them on the same day at the same office.

You can imagine how much fun that caused me...thought I was going completely potty, till the lovely registrar pointed out the different street addresses (same street, though!) and the slightly different days of birth (a week apart).

I think you have to look for another Harriet Pedder just to make sure!

OC

Comment

Hiya OC,

I think i WOULD have gone potty if they were mine......Lol

I have looked for another birth for Harriet in the Lancaster areas but the nearest one i could find was 1830s.

I can't get on Ancestry right now but i will have another look as soon as i can.

Thankyou OC
                        Jacky

Comment

Are you sure the marriage to John Eccles was in 1907 only on freebmd there is a marriage to John Eccles in Jun 1901, Garstang, 8e, 1415, which if her age was 19 would tie in with the 1901 census.

What was your grandfathers name?

Where abouts was there first child born?
                          Last edited by fiona c; 06-08-08, 21:47.
                          Fiona. xx

Comment

Hiya Fiona,

Sorry, it is the marriage for 1901, when you look at it the writting, from the 0 goes straight to the 1 and it looks like a 7........

My Grandfather was William Johnson b 1881 Skerton Lancaster, his father was Robert a policeman, i have never found him on the 1901 census either.

There 1st child was born here in Liverpool 1922

Thankyou for your interest.
                            Last edited by Tilly Mint; 06-08-08, 21:58.
                            Jacky

Comment

Working...
                            X