Total Frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Frustration

I am researching a fairly unusual name at the moment and trying to link twigs.
    No one on GR has this line but....found it on a tree on Ancestry. It is a personal tree which is fine as so is mine. However, this person does not want to be contacted-I cannot see the point of having it on Ancestry except perhaps to frustrate people :(
    Jennie
    Research: A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots .

I know what you mean.

I found someone with a branch of my tree, it had a bit of an error so i got in touch. The tree owner is American.

They didn't get back but changed the tree name to "private and no software", seems just as well they haven't got back in touch. For the sake of $20 they are relying on an online tree builder and trying to keep it private.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I know exactly what you mean, I found a tree with loads of people from a line that I'd had no other contacts and they didn't want to be contacted either.
      Lynn

Comment

Same here! I have a lot of information to give this person, including copies of mcs, to show that they have the wrong bride on several occasions, and I also have copies of five wills for this family and some thrilling info about bigamy, lol.

OC

Comment

I was contacted by someone with their tree on Ancestry. Their tree is a public one and I started checking it. Horrendous mistakes, one woman married two brothers on the same day at the same place. One man who married two women whilst the first was still alive, she had the wrong one after 1851, the right one died.

I have contacted her and pointed out only one of these errors and offered certs to back it up.

No more contact from her, she would obviously rather have a huge tree than a correct one.

Her loss

Comment

Margaret

I have changed my tack on this - I now leave messages/comments on the public trees if the tree builder doesn't reply to my emails.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              Margaret

I have changed my tack on this - I now leave messages/comments on the public trees if the tree builder doesn't reply to my emails.

OC
              I didn't know you could do that OC

I will take a look at that tomorrow.

Comment

Margaret

OC

I didn't know you could do that either....

I still can't work out how William Ketley (died aged 9 MONTHS) can be my great grandfather!!!

Comment

Yes, if you focus on the page on the tree about your Fred Bloggs, there is a button to add comments about Fred Bloggs!

Mind you, it hasn't provoked any responses yet, but at least I have the grim satisfaction of knowing that other people who look at the record will see my comments, such as "wrong wife - I have the certificate to Mary Snodgrass" or whatever.

OC

Comment

OC

Can the person whos tree it is take your comment off again?

Comment

Oooh, I'm not sure, but you can add any number of comments.

OC

Comment

Oh Jennie hope its not on my tree couse if it is I always answer people;;;
                        not linked to the dam Pickerings is it
                        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

No, this is my wonderful Scarll family. Someone has names from the same village so they must be related somewhere but I need to go pre census to find out.Why dangle this snippets and then not allow anyone to contact?
                          Part of the thrill is sharing and swapping details :D
                          Jennie

Comment

Sure is babe ,,,well I sent you a pm about Pickerings so I can share that with you at least dear ;;;
                            borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Ooh Jennie, could your Scarlls be distant cousins of my Scurlls?

Can't see from your gedcom that they are in the same village. Mine are Reepham (not Reedham!) based back to at least the 1740s.
                              Phoenix - with charred feathers
                              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I've done this, where the person didn't leave a contact address - I put a comment on his tree, and it must have generated an e-mail to him, because he replied immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                                  Ooh Jennie, could your Scarlls be distant cousins of my Scurlls?

Can't see from your gedcom that they are in the same village. Mine are Reepham (not Reedham!) based back to at least the 1740s.
                                  I am convinced that there is a connection between all the Scarlls, Scarls, Scarles, Scurrels etc in that area-and even possibly the odd Searle where mistranscribed.

Given the broad Norfolk/ Suffolk accent and the amount of illiteracy. It is a relatively rare name. Hence I was really chuffed when I found a whole family twig on a personal tree when I tried to connect I got the following message

"We're sorry. The user you would like to contact (XXXXXX) has elected not to be contacted by anyone regarding information posted on this site. Click here to go back to the page you started from."

Any thoughts on Scarlls gratefully received!
                                  Jennie

Comment

Margaret

OC

OC

I have just gone back to this tree to see about putting a comment on it and she has made it a private tree. :D

Obviously prefers a wrong tree.

Forgot, she also had people born on both sides of the Atlantic at the same time. The only connection was the place name was the same. :D

Comment

Margaret

Ah, that may not be her fault!

I discovered that the default country is USA, so unless you enter England or whatever, you might find your ancestors appear to have been born in Birmingham USA, not Birmingham, England, lol.

(I thought I'd had a brainstorm the first time this happened to me!)

OC

Comment

Working...
                                      X