Bit of a tester!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of a tester!!

A bit of a mystery... if someone has any ideas??

We have a husband and wife:

Rachel Holt (b.1842 d.1913) m George Howarth (b.1841 d. 1878) (Rochdale)

Rachel remarried a Thomas Shore (d. 1911 ) Rochdale.

The question is - the graves!!

Grave one:
    Rachel Holt/Howarth/Shore (d.1913 aged 71)
    John Sanderson (d. 1877 aged 55) and his wife, Ellen Sanderson (d.1881 aged 51)?
    Rachel's daughter, mary Jane Robinson died 1894 aged 29

Grave two:
    George Howarth (d. 1878 aged 37)
    John Alexander Sanderson (d. 1894 aged 21)... believed to be John & Ellen's boy?

Grave three:
    William Henry Shore (d. 1907 aged 43) - Thomas's son
    Thomas Shore (d. 1911 aged 71)
    William Young (d. 1914 aged 36)
    Mary Young (d.1953 aged 81) - probably Thomas's daughter.

Can anyone fathom out who the Sanderson's are? and what is the connection to Rachel and George???

Tracy

Are graves one and two together, or in different areas?

Is the info from cemetery records or monumental inscriptions? (If just one, have you looked for the other?)
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Maybe the graves weren't purchased and the others are unrelated people.

My grandad is in an unpurchased grave in our local cemetery and there are two other people in there unrelated to each other or to grandad.

Forgot to ask: is this in a churchyard or local cemetery?

Comment

Tracy

I thought I put this information on the Tribal Pages tree we did for you?

I would need to look up my notes if I still have them, but John, and John Alexander Sanderson were cousins I think.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          Tracy

I thought I put this information on the Tribal Pages tree we did for you?

I would need to look up my notes if I still have them, but John, and John Alexander Sanderson were cousins I think.

OC
          Hi OC

We knew that John Alexander was buried with George, but I've only recently found out that Rachel was buried in a separate grave with his parents John and Ellen. The question is - what is their relationship??

Tracy

Comment

Do you have any of the following:

Birth certificate for Rachel Holt?
            Birth certificate for George Howarth?
            Marriage certificate for John Sanderson & Ellen Brooks?

As John and Ellen are born pre civil registration and the link is not obvious, you will probably need the birth certificates of the younger people.

And Rachel and George's marriage certificate will have given you his father's name as a checking point if necessary.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I've found a set of 3 (2 berth) graves purchased by a lady. The first contained her and her husband, the second her brother and his wife and the third brothers daughter and her husband.

Another branch of the family also had 3 earlier 4/5 berth graves in same cemetary where 3 different generations of the family were buried together including young children, husbands, unmarried children and a still birth of the couple in the first set of graves.

It seems the female line had the graves and whoever married the daughters ended up in their family plot instead of the husband's

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                Do you have any of the following:

Birth certificate for Rachel Holt?
                Birth certificate for George Howarth?
                Marriage certificate for John Sanderson & Ellen Brooks?

As John and Ellen are born pre civil registration and the link is not obvious, you will probably need the birth certificates of the younger people.

And Rachel and George's marriage certificate will have given you his father's name as a checking point if necessary.
                Will look into it! Thanks

Comment

I think OC was thinking of the Robinsons, but there are a couple of other Sandersons on your tree (Sarah J c. 1869 who married Walter Swain and John c. 1860 who married Fanny Howarth) - you might do well to check on whether they were related to the John Sanderson buried in the family grave.

Comment

Thanks Mary. If they are connected, it must be on the Howarth side, not the Swains... Just looked back at the tree you did for me and can't work out the relationship of Fanny Howarth... where is the link??

Thanks

Tracy
                    Last edited by castanea1985; 07-08-08, 10:59.

Comment

OC did most of this. If you look at Fanny's entry on the tree, you'll see she's added a note saying "Fanny is probably the daughter of James Howarth and Mary. More work needed."

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                        OC did most of this. If you look at Fanny's entry on the tree, you'll see she's added a note saying "Fanny is probably the daughter of James Howarth and Mary. More work needed."
                        Thanks. Will dig a bit deeper!!:p

Comment

Working...
                        X