hi all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi all

well hi all, very new to this so i,m hoping to get a start,,i,m thinking of buying credits at genesreunited, are they good, when i put some info i dont seem to get alot,,so heres what i,m looking for..mr charles coleman who died 7/1/1922 at 38 wellington street cardiff age 59 and mrs caroline coleman died 20/2/1936 age 72 i think see was at 38 wyndham cres cardiff, i have ordered there death certificates, if i get these will i be able to get there birth 1s,,,thanks for looking

Hi Aka, welcome to the forum!
    A quick look at Ancestry shows a Charles & Caroline Coleman on the 1901 census with 13yr old Arthur & 11yr old Mabel.
    Charles & Mabel were born at Eaton Ford, Beds.
    Caroline & Arthur at St Neots, Hunts.
    Charles was a bricklayer.
    Could they be yours?
    Bridget

Comment

Hi Aka, welcome to ftf..

theres a marriage for a Charles Coleman X Caroline Wallace, June q 1886 St Neots, vol 3b page 529..

Could these be your rellis?

I have heard that buying credits from GR is a waste of money but I personally have had no experience of them.
      Last edited by Northern Light; 06-08-08, 14:31.

]

Comment

Free BMD shows this as their marriage...

Marriages Jun 1886 (94%)
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COLEMAN Charles St Neots 3b 529
        WALLACE Caroline St Neots 3b 529
        Bridget

Comment

Firstly, hello and welcome to the site.

If you are just starting with your research I would say Ancestry. co. uk is a great site, has censuses from 1841 - 1901 bmd's and lots of other resources.

Death certificates for those dates will only give an age, not date of birth.

Can I take it that Charles and Caroline were husband and wife?
          Fiona. xx

Comment

wow that was fast,,,i will have to wait for there death certificates,i no they are in a grave with miss phyllis irene coleman died 25/1/1922 1 year old and mr william francis coleman died 13/1/1927 0 years old, but these 2 were at diffrent adrresse, any way thanks for your help much appreciated

Comment

@fiona c yes, what are my chances of getting birth certificates

Comment

Hi, welcome to FTF

From posts i have seen on Genes it seems that they are one of the most expensive ways to view records.

Certainly when you get back to the 1920's and earlier most (but not all) the birth, marriage and death refs can be found on a free site called freebmd.

FreeBMD Home Page

For census images you would need to use a pay per view or subscription site but large parts of the 1881 census has been transcribed on the LDS website.
                FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records.

Of course you can always ask for a lookup on the boards here, until you get into the swing of census searches they can be a bit strange, it's often better to have a couple of completed searches done by others then you can try to duplicate them yourself and learn some of the tricks to use.

We have a section on this site (within our very own wiki) called "online research", it gives some useful site reviews, site links and guides to using the different sites, here is the link

Online Research - Family Tree Forum

Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 06-08-08, 14:43.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by aka666
                  @fiona c yes, what are my chances of getting birth certificates
                  I would firstly get their marriage certificate, it will give you their fathers names to check against any birth certificate.

Also you may be able to trace them a little further through the censuses to be sure that the birth place they gave on the 1901 and 1891 is right. I have had a few ancestors who have given many places of birth and really don't seem to know where they were born.
                  Fiona. xx

Comment

There is a birth for a Charles Coleman Sep 1863, St Neots on Freebmd.org.uk the site is free to use.

There is also a Caroline Wallace on the site with birth Dec 1865, St. Neots.
                    Fiona. xx

Comment

thankyou all great help, what a wicked site

Comment

Hello AKA hope you enjoy it here
                        This thread might be worth looking at

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Welcome to you
                          yes this is a great site I can comment on GRU site I use free BMD, Ancestry and IGI sites all the time. I find Ancestry is the cheapest way to look at all the records it is far better than buying credits all the time. I personally cannot do without it.
                          you will find everyone on here is very helpful and if you are stuck just post a thread give us as much information as you can and mostly we can find what you ask.
                          Welcome again sorry have to dash been a bit busy today.
                          GWEN

Comment

Welcome to the site.

If you're after "newbie" tips - there's another similar thread with lots of ideas on it... I'll see if I can find it and give you the link.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Found it:

It's called "Hello to All"!

Christine

PS - Just realised that Rachel has beaten me to it!
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

can i be a bit cheeky
                                i got a audry phyllis teagle,,,daughter of walter and ellen she was aged 12 died 5 oct 1937, she is rested st ely number 563, can someone tell me anything has i cant find nowt

Comment

Hi Aka

Audrey P Teagle was born in the October-Novermber-December quarter of 1925, in the Cardiff district. Her mother's maiden name was Colman.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Here's a marriage

Ellin B Coleman
                                    Walter G M Teagle

1918 April/Jun quarter ... Cardiff, Glamorgan, Monmouth

checked the image and it is Ellin (with an 'i')
                                    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                    X