Request for info from Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for info from Ancestry

Could anyone tell me please - I have had an e-mail from Ancestry with a message from someone saying that they see I have XYZ in my tree and can I give them any more information about him. The only way that I can see to reply from the e-mail is to give him access to my tree!! Is there any other way of contacting him first please to find out why he wants to know?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Have you searched for XYZ to see if you can find him in this other persons tree?
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Chrissie,

If you go into the ancestry site, you should be able to reply to the person via their ancestry name, without revealing any more than you want to. I remember doing it, but not how to get there. Will check it out and post again

Later

I think if you reply to the ancestry email, they will then contact the original person, you should be able to do it like an ordinary email. If they have revealed their real email address and not just their ancestry name, the email should go straight to them. I don't see why you should have to give access to your tree, I didn't. Unless they posted a comment on your tree, which means its public already.

Di
      Last edited by dicole; 06-08-08, 11:11. Reason: more info
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I've had messages through Ancestry in the past - they come as e-mails, and you just click on Reply as usual.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Wendy - No, I haven't because I don't know how to do it on Ancestry.

Thanks Di - I will go and have a look on Ancestry and see if I can work out how to find him.

Mary - It quite clearly says on the e-mail that if I click on the link it will give him access to my tree

Comment

Many apologies everyone :o I have just reread it carefully and when I followed the link it just gives me the opportunity to give him access. I can also send a message.

My only excuse is that I have never had a contact on Ancestry before and had even forgotten that my tree was on there :o

Comment

I hope it turns out to be a useful contact, Chrissie

Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia
              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Thanks Di

Comment

Yes, you just click on reply and it goes through Ancestry's messaging service, rather like GR.

If you include your email address in your reply you can continue communication via email and send relevant info without letting them see your tree.

Comment

Hi Margaret
                    Sorry - I shouldn't have started another thread but I thought that nobody would look at the old one as I had said it was sorted :o

I have tried clicking on the link and it will let me give them access to my tree (which I won't do until I know why) but, because I'm not subscribed at the moment, it won't let me send them a message. Every time I try it just tells me how to subscribe.

Comment

Chrissie, have you tried just replying to the email the usual way? That's what I always do when I get those emails and it always works - except it doesn't let attachments through.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I would do the same as Kate suggests
                        Lynn

Comment

Thanks both - It didn't seem possible to reply to an e-mail but I will have another go after lunch.

Maybe it's me being thick - lol

Comment

All the ones I've had say this at the top, Chrissie, doesn't yours?

This message has been sent through the Ancestry connection service. Simply reply to this email to respond to (username) through the connection service.
                            Note: The connection service uses your Ancestry username to identify you and does not display your name or email address. If you would like to remain anonymous, be sure to remove any personal information that your email program may include in your reply.
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

:o:o:o Thanks Kate - you're right of course. I hadn't read it properly and assumed that the e-mail itself was from Ancestry.

I have just replied. Thanks again for your patience with a twit :o

Comment

Working...
                              X