births in India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• births in India

Good morning everyone my cousin in Australia has asked me if I can give her some suggestions of where to look for a family member on her hubbys side as she is stuck.
    He was born in India a British subject Army, details taken from a census she does not state which one. She has aksed me if I now where she can look to find him.
    Having never had an overseas birth before I have no idea but thought there must be indian army records somewhere but not sure if they are online?
    GWEN

Hi Gwen

Try the fibis.org website as a place to start, they have an index to the East India Register, which listed births/baptisms, marriages and deaths. There is a lot of good info there, and some links to other sites.

Diane
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Isn't there an overseas section at the GRO?

Didn't British Subjects register the births with the British Consulate and I think the Army kept records too.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
        Hi Gwen

Try the fibis.org website as a place to start, they have an index to the East India Register, which listed births/baptisms, marriages and deaths. There is a lot of good info there, and some links to other sites.

Diane
        Thanks for that off to look now
        GWEN

Comment

The overseas BMDs are available on Findmypast.
          Would you like to give the details of the person you are looking for?
          Elaine

Comment

It might even be on the IGI.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              The overseas BMDs are available on Findmypast.
              Would you like to give the details of the person you are looking for?
              Walter Henry Knight born abt 1892 india british subject died surrey 1901 in the 9th lancers
              sorry for the delay in replying had to go out
              GWEN

Comment

Cannot see anything for Walter Henry Knight.
                The closest I can get is Walter Frederick Knight born 1894 Secunderabad.
                Elaine

Comment

HI

If I read this correctly your man would only be 8/9 years old by the time of the 1901 too young to be in the Army....
                  WendyP

Comment

Well spotted Wendy! I obviously wasn´t concentrating today! :o
                    Elaine

Comment

Have you looked on the wiki. There is a lot of info re India.
                      If it's to be, it's up to me.
                      Searching for:
                      English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Sorry about that been busy today and just copied what my cousin wrote I've checked it and it does read 1901 will have to get back to her about that.
                        His name is Walter Henry Knight his father she thinks was Edward and he married Annie Blake who was from the isle of wight.
                        GWEN

Comment

I think my cousin must have had a bad day Walter could not have been born in 1892 as I had some time I checked on Ancestry and he married Annie Blake in 1897. so I will have to get her to check the details again.
                          GWEN

Comment

HI

Just taken a look on the IGI, but as we know NOT always the correct record, but there were two entries for children born in India to an Edward Knight and Eliza

Walter Knight born 1861* against his details it also said he died in 1901* Mitchum Surrey

The other child was a Frederick born the year before

Here in the 1871 are I think those two children if you enter Walter knight bn 1862 E Indies they are in the Royal Military Asylums for Children of Soldiers of the Regular Army

RG10; Piece: 78; Folio: 89; Page: 17

What does anyone else think?
                            Last edited by WendyP; 07-08-08, 07:09. Reason: wrong censu year given
                            WendyP

Comment

HI All

Taken another look after seeing the IGI and foudn this 1901 entry which fits in perfectly with known info from Friend of Gwen

Look for Walker Knight bn 1863 India with wife Annie L Knight nee Blake also proven because there are two Blake sister in laws in the household

here's the REF RG13; Piece: 422; Folio: 21; Page: 34

I know it still doesn't give definate details on parentage for Walter though...
                              WendyP

Comment

That looks good Wendy - but I still cannot see a birth registration for Walter born c1863 on the overseas index.
                                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by WendyP View Post
                                  HI

Just taken a look on the IGI, but as we know NOT always the correct record, but there were two entries for children born in India to an Edward Knight and Eliza

Walter Knight born 1861* against his details it also said he died in 1901* Mitchum Surrey

The other child was a Frederick born the year before

Here in the 1871 are I think those two children if you enter Walter knight bn 1862 E Indies they are in the Royal Military Asylums for Children of Soldiers of the Regular Army

RG10; Piece: 78; Folio: 89; Page: 17

What does anyone else think?

Thanks for this information I think this is the family my cousin said Walters father was Edward and had a brother called Frederick. I was called away yesterday so could not get back on here to give it my full attention so going to now.
                                  A big thank you
                                  GWEN

Comment

Hi Wendy
                                    I am sure this is him I will contact my cousin and email her the details she lives in Australia.
                                    I think I will see if I can find more on his father Edward but think that will prove to be difficult if he was in india when his children were born
                                    thanks again

Originally posted by WendyP View Post
                                    HI All

Taken another look after seeing the IGI and foudn this 1901 entry which fits in perfectly with known info from Friend of Gwen

Look for Walker Knight bn 1863 India with wife Annie L Knight nee Blake also proven because there are two Blake sister in laws in the household

here's the REF RG13; Piece: 422; Folio: 21; Page: 34

I know it still doesn't give definate details on parentage for Walter though...
                                    GWEN

Comment

The British Library has transcribed some of their records:

India Office Family History Search
                                      Kit

Comment

Working...
                                      X