• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Census Info ..

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me. On a 1881 census sheet, i found the following :

S Daur and S Son.

Now I think the head is their Grandmother (?), but I am confused as to what it means. I thought maybe Step Daughter and Step Son. But would they put that if they are living with Grandmother.

Michael

Maybe the S is actually a G and it means granddaughter and grandson? If you want to post the details, we can check out the census image for you.

Comment

Thank you Mary,

Hopefully this is the information you need (I am only a beginner)

RG11

1116/29

Michael

Comment

Are we talking about Amy and John Norwood?

At first I read the head of house as being Catherine Frampton, but now I realise it should be Lucy Brown who is listed as a wife, but no husband in tow. There is a single tick between her name and Frances Frampton which denotes a separate household behind the same frontdoor. A double tick denotes the next frontdoor.

Amy's entry does look like an S, but John's looks like a G. Don't forget, the census enumerator would have been copying the information from the householders schedule page which is likely to have been completed by somone in the house, so he might have mis-read the handwriting.

On the following census John and Amy are both recorded as the children of John Norwood aged 47, a widower.

In 1881 John Norwood is married to a Lucy. This looks like their marriage:

Marriages Jun 1871
        Brown Lucy Elizabeth A Marylebone 1a 845
        Norwood John Marylebone 1a 845

So I presume the Lucy Brown aged 61 in 1881 is the mother of Lucy Elizabeth A Norwood nee Brown.

Comment

Thank you for all that information, it will very useful.

Off to do some more checking

Michael

Comment

Birth and death of Lucy junr:

Births Dec 1845
            Brown Lucy Elizabeth Ann Marylebone 1 179

Deaths Jun 1890
            Norwood Lucy Elizabeth A aged 44 Bromley 2a 232

Comment

Thank you.

The john norwood in this post won th VC in 1899 at The Siege of Ladysmith during the second boer war.

Just added that for info

Michael

Comment

Working...
              X