Susannah Louisa Grant is missing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susannah Louisa Grant is missing!

Susannah Louisa Lowres (Lowris on Freebmd) was born Shoreditch RD Sept qtr 1864.

In 1871 she is aged 6, with parents Edward (b Bristol) and Emma & family in Margaret St, Haggerstone (now either Moye or Whiston Street)

In 1881 she is called Louisa, aged 16, a boot fitter born Shoreditch, in 37 Dove Street, Hagerstone with Edward, Emma and
    Emma, 18
    Edward, 14
    Annie, 12
    Albert, 9
    Frederick, 7
    Henrietta, 4
    Amy, 2

She married William Vernon Grant in Bethnal Green Sept qtr 1883
    William died in London C in 1887.

She dies in Hackney March 1907 aged 42

By 1891, Henrietta, Amy & baby James are at home with Edward and Emma.
    Sister Emma has married Clarence Herbert and is living in the same house. Annie is dead, Albert and Frederick in the army. Brother Edward has married Charlotte and is living in Dalston. Susannah Louisa Grant is not with any of them.

In 1901, mother Emma is dead. Albert is still in the army. Edward, Frederick (&wife Alice), Henrietta Pittman, Amy Aldridge, Emma Herbert (with baby brother James) and Edward with father Edward are all accounted for. Susan is not with any of them.

Can anyone find Susannah in those two censuses? I have no information on children, but she may have had some.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Sorry Phoenix

I've drawn a blank. I did have hopes of Susan L. Gardner, but the image can't be made to read as Grant, no matter what I do!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There's a Minnie Grant of about the right age, birthplace and occupation living in Haggerston in 1891 and Shoreditch in 1901 - might be worth investigating.

Class: RG12; Piece: 254; Folio 129; Page 2

Class: RG13; Piece: 281; Folio: 89; Page: 58

Comment

Thanks for looking, Nell.

I have this horrid feeling that she's shacking up with someone, but I'm blowed if I can spot her.

Someone on GR has William in their tree, but they appear to have made a complete muck up of their research. I'd like to prove definitely that they are wrong, but Grant is such a common name.
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

She has 2 children with her in 1891 and 3 in 1901 - just looking for the oldest child in 1891.

Comment

Minnie's children were born in about 1886-1890.

This might be her marriage:

Marriages Dec 1883
            BRIGGS Annie Shoreditch 1c 180
            GRANT George James Shoreditch 1c 180
            WARD Minnie Caroline Shoreditch 1c 180
            WARWICK Richard Shoreditch 1c 180

But I can't find a death for George James Grant between 1883 and 1891.

According to the 1891 census it looks as though Richard Warwick married Annie Briggs.
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 05-08-08, 22:45.

Comment

Minnie is in EXACTLY the right neck of the woods. It's soo tempting, Mary!

Comment

That's what I thought

Comment

I can't find her oldest child, Elizabeth, in 1891, though. I was hoping she might have been with one of Susannah's relatives. I've checked all the Elizabeth Grants with a London birthplace not living with parents, and there's no obvious candidate.

Comment

Omg, Mary, you look as if you've hit something!

Births Dec 1885:
                    Grant C[e_]ri[e_] Elizabeth Hackney 1b 594

Cerise is with granny Sarah Grant in Prittlewell in 1891 but we've never been able to find her in 1901.

We'd assumed she was illegitimate. Granny Sarah is really Cherry, but clearly didn't lie using the name.

Now off to see if I can find George!

Comment

Well, Sarah's son IS George James!

I can't find George on a census after 1881 but as William went into the navy and brother Joseph is in the army (twice, in barracks AND in prison in 1891) George may have been in the army too.

I feel a certificate coming on!

Thank you so much, Mary!

Comment

Brilliant, I'm glad I could help.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                          Cerise is with granny Sarah Grant in Prittlewell in 1891 but we've never been able to find her in 1901.

We'd assumed she was illegitimate. Granny Sarah is really Cherry, but clearly didn't lie using the name.
                          Just to state the obvious, Cerise was presumably named after granny Cherry, but more refeened.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ, Sarah/Cherry's first daughter was called Cerise. The very first Cerise in freebmd. My language was quite fruity when I realised why. Especially since Sarah/Cherry was christened Charity.

Looking at the name, I suppose it is even possible that two enumerators both misheard an unfamiliar name and rendered it as Sarah and she didn't think it "too good for daily use".

Comment

I take it that although we've found Cerise we're still looking for Susannah?

Comment

Well done Mary.

I do sympathise Phoenix.
                                Husband's London ancestors seem to use Shoreditch/St Lukes/Cripplegate/Clerkenwell/Holborn/Haggerston/Hoxton as though they were all interchangable, so its hard to know what to put on a search.

Keep plugging away.
                                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Certificate has arrived!

Thank you so much, Mary

Cerise Elizabeth Grant is the daughter of George James Grant and Minnie Caroline, formerly Ward. And to absolutely clinch matters, George is a carver, like his father.

So someone I thought was illegitimate is now restored to her proper family!

Comment

Great - that was a bit of luck, finding her.

Comment

omg, I may have sorted this!

Bear with me.

Peggy Cerise Grant dies in 2000. Her birth is 1920.
                                      Peggy C Grant b Dec 1920, Bishop Stortford mmn Lilley

William E Grant m Florence Lilley Dec 1917 Bishop Stortford

William E Grant b June 1885 Hackney.

I cannot find a William Grant of the right age with suitable parents.
                                      What I do find in 1901 is

Thomas Grant 37
                                      Louisa Grant 36
                                      William Grant 16 all born South Hackney and some rather younger children.

And the marriage Sept 1887 Hackney
                                      Thomas William Grant
                                      Louisa Susannah Grant

I'm clearly just getting too cynical in my old age. It looks as if Susannah Louisa married her husband's cousin, so she kept the surname.

I feel fairly confident now that I have found the lady, and that William Vernon Grant did have a son before he died.

If I want to prove this, which certificate do you reckon I get?

William E's birth
                                      Louisa's marriage to Thomas
                                      William E's marriage?

I cannot believe that a death in 2000 has led to a birth in 1885!

Comment

Working...
                                      X