Would I be able to use my laptop on holiday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would I be able to use my laptop on holiday

I know its probably a daft question but if I took my laptop with me on holiday( as I will get withdrawal symptoms ) how would I get it to work ?????

Presumably you mean on the internet, Val? If you go to a cafe or similar which has wifi available then you should be able to get online that way - some places it is free if you buy something, other places you have to pay and they will give you a password to put in. If you want to be able to go online wherever you are then I think you would have to get one of those mobile internet deals where you get a dongle thing to plug into your laptop but they seem to be tied in with mobile contracts etc.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Val,
      I found it very hit and miss. Most hotels will have an "Hot Spot" but may well charge for its use and issue you with a password to log on. The amount of time you have may well vary although half an hour to catch up on emails and postings is normally long enough. Sometime I have found that you can connect almost immediately and other times no matter how hard you try you fail to log on.
      Perhaps other people have had better experiences than I have. However, I too would not go away for anytime without my link to the world.
      Enjoy your holiday.
      Bye
      Paul

Comment

maybe I'll leave it behind then and see if there are any internet cafes available ???thanks to you both.
        Sad arent I ???? but just looking at Toms face for a whole week would kill me LOL

Comment

Val, Hello again,
          I only go away for short periods but have never failed to find an internet cafe. When you are into the business of computers these cafes etc come out and hit you. It drives my husband mad as he always hopes that I will pass one by - no such luck. In most libraries you are able to pay a small fee and use one. My local library is free for the first thirty minutes.The best one I ever used was in Dublin at 'One Euro' an hour. Guess where I spent my holiday! Very Sad.
          Margaret N
          DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

hyer Margaret nice to see you, the thought of a whole week without it is terrible.
            I suppose one day all holiday flats and the like will offer internet access ??? do hope so.

Comment

I'd like to know how do people on the beach and in their cars get the internet ??????????? would that be a dongle ?? as I did buy one a while ago but it seemed to do nothing????

Comment

Val, I have been asking on this board about WIFI and this may be an useful link that MTA kindly sent me.
                Top 10 Broadband » Mobile Broadband Dongles - Mobile Internet Dongle Deals & Information
                Either copy and paste this as I did and if it does not work go to my WIFI thread that is about the second or third one down and read the thread from MTA - Click on his link and you will learn what your Dongle should do. Hope this helps.
                Margaret N
                DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Hi Val
                  I've just been away and used my laptop with some person with an unsecure connection
                  across the street!! Not molishasly I might add.
                  So remember to secure your own system or this can happen to you!!!!!!
                  Yorkshirelad

Comment

Word or warning ref using someone elses unsecured WiFi without permission.

In the eyes of the law this is theft and would be treated in the same way as if you had 'tapped into' their electrical supply and used it.

If they find out you have been using their connection (WiFi Modems will record the MAC address of any device that records to it), thay can take out a prosecution against you.

Researching:
                    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

yes I knew that Trevor, I was hoping to use my dongle but it never gave me much of a signal ?? think I'll stay home next year.

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                        Word or warning ref using someone elses unsecured WiFi without permission.

In the eyes of the law this is theft and would be treated in the same way as if you had 'tapped into' their electrical supply and used it.

If they find out you have been using their connection (WiFi Modems will record the MAC address of any device that records to it), thay can take out a prosecution against you.
                        Cor glad my friend over the road as said it ok till I get my own wireless up and running
                        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

When son came here with his lap top he could see on it that NFH had a wi fi as well as us. He told me that they had password secured theirs but ours was open. So last week I set up a password security on it with the help of Trevor on here.

Once Id fiddled and done it - son went downstairs with his lap top and tried it and it showed our wireless password secured. Oh, it did make me feel better I gave him the password and key and once he had tapped it into his lap top he could continue using it.

But Id hate to think NFH could get into my puter system - I know thats unlikely, but the thought he could use my wi fi if he wanted -

BTW, how would you ever find out someone was using your wi fi?

Oh and did anyone see that program about how con men sit in hotel forums picking up on unsecured laptops and wi fi puters and then buying stuff using your puter identity? make sure you have password security Val.

Comment

sounds interesting Heather ?? how do I do that

Comment

Oh Val, it depends on your system, Trevor would be the one to ask. I had to go to the router site and then enter a password and go from there. I just fumbled through it and finally made it - it was a great feeling. PM Trevor.

Comment

I have added a message to your other thread thanks Heather

Comment

Working...
                                X