No announcement yet.

Richard....is this the end of the line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard....is this the end of the line?

Some of you may remember my Richard Robinson... (Miller).

I have had a devil of a time trying to find him. Does NOT appear on any census, I have at last I think found his death. 12 mar 1840 (cert). aged 52 at death.

is there any way I can find out where he came from?

No known will.

He appears in Melton Mowbray in 1818 where he marries, on the marriage he states he is a widower from "Waltham on the Wolds". I don't know anything about him or his previous marriage even if there were any other children.

can anyone offer any suggestions that I would be able to check out when I next get to LRO.

thanks for reading
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Only that you need to check Waltham on the Wolds (whereever that is) for possible burial of first wife and baptisms/marriages/burials of likely children.

Of course he might have moved to WOTW after his wife died elsewhere. Shame his surname is so common.

You could also try looking in 1841 census for WOTW for Robinsons that might be his children or siblings and see if you can work back from them.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Looks a bit of a slippery critter and there are several entries for the surname around Waltham/Grimsby as well as the route down towards Melton for the timeframe.

I don't know what to suggest really.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Any clues in his occupation (off child's marriage cert?/his death cert?)
        apprenticeship records?
        settlement papers?
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Was he married by banns or licence? If it was by licence, you may get more information from the marriage bond.

Comment

WOTW is Waltham/Grimsby area of Lincolnshire but being close to the ports and Humber it might be that a distant place comes into the picture in the preceding generations.

There isn't much in the way of PR's for that part of Lincolnshire online and Grimsby/Waltham did pull in a few folks from the nearby towns of Louth and Caistor.

Plucking at straws here;
            There is one entry for a Robinson born in Waltham in the 1851, a baby girl aged 8 months, a visitor to the Smith family, and Mr Smith happens to be a Miller.

Mary Ann Robinson, abt 1850, born Waltham, Lincs.
            In the same household is another Mary Ann Robinson aged 3 months.

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2112; Folio: 205; Page: 6; GSU roll: 87741.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
              Only that you need to check Waltham on the Wolds (whereever that is) for possible burial of first wife and baptisms/marriages/burials of likely children.

Of course he might have moved to WOTW after his wife died elsewhere. Shame his surname is so common.

You could also try looking in 1841 census for WOTW for Robinsons that might be his children or siblings and see if you can work back from them.
              WOTW is Leicestershire, a few miles from Melton Mowbray. I have checked WOTW on IGI/Hugh wallis for possibles but nothing seems to be jumping out.

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
              Any clues in his occupation (off child's marriage cert?/his death cert?)
              apprenticeship records?
              settlement papers?
              His occupation was "Miller" as per his marriage in 1818. and is the same on his childrens baptisms, and also his death cert.

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
              Was he married by banns or licence? If it was by licence, you may get more information from the marriage bond.
              Banns I believe Mary....

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
              WOTW is Waltham/Grimsby area of Lincolnshire but being close to the ports and Humber it might be that a distant place comes into the picture in the preceding generations.

There isn't much in the way of PR's for that part of Lincolnshire online and Grimsby/Waltham did pull in a few folks from the nearby towns of Louth and Caistor.

Plucking at straws here;
              There is one entry for a Robinson born in Waltham in the 1851, a baby girl aged 8 months, a visitor to the Smith family, and Mr Smith happens to be a Miller.

Mary Ann Robinson, abt 1850, born Waltham, Lincs.
              In the same household is another Mary Ann Robinson aged 3 months.

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2112; Folio: 205; Page: 6; GSU roll: 87741.

er, I do have his girls by his second wife but as I have said nothing at all on his first... it does seem odd though or maybe just coincidence (my Richard has a daughter called Mary Ann born in 1819)

can you post up the link for that family Glen... in lincs?
              Julie

Comment

Sorry Julie, i jumped at Lincolnshire because of the Wolds being mentioned.

The '51 return is for the Louth area, not sure if this will work but here goes

- Ancestry.co.uk

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

What children did he have in the second marriage?

Comment

Millers would not own their own mills, but work them as tenants. They would tend to move when the leases expired.

Look at Land tax assessments for WOTW around 1818. That may give you a clue. Also have a scrounge around for any histories of milling in the area. His name may crop up in an index. Like tenant farmers, millers could move quite long distances to the next decent mill.
                    Phoenix - with charred feathers
                    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                      Sorry Julie, i jumped at Lincolnshire because of the Wolds being mentioned.

The '51 return is for the Louth area, not sure if this will work but here goes

- Ancestry.co.uk
                      Thats ok Glen, easy assumption to make

I always thought WOTW was Lincs too... but it int!! there is a Walton on the Wolds as well as Waltham on the Wolds...

confused, not as much as me...lol..

I will have a look to see IF there is a MI when I goto LRO again. (but I sure dont hold any hopes of it)

His Death was Reg'd and is down as "Richard Robertson" btw. (and I know that Robertson tends to be a scottish spelling)

I have bookmarked that link Glen, ta

have to go out, but will be back later...
                      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                        What children did he have in the second marriage?
                        Are these the only ones?

Parents Richard and Sarah:

MARY ANN ROBINSON - International Genealogical Index
                        Gender: Female Christening: 19 JAN 1819 Melton Mowbray, Leicester

SARAH ROBERTSON - International Genealogical Index
                        Gender: Female Christening: 27 JAN 1821 Melton Mowbray, Leicester

ELIZA ROBINSON - International Genealogical Index
                        Gender: Female Christening: 21 MAY 1823 Melton Mowbray, Leicester

HARRIETT ROBINSON - International Genealogical Index
                        Gender: Female Christening: 05 SEP 1830 Melton Mowbray, Leicester

I saw these two millers on the 1861 census - brothers, John (34) and Edward (31), living at Waltham On The Wolds and born at Sewstern:

RG9; Piece: 2304; Folio: 22; Page: 8

Maybe their father was connected to your Richard in some way? (unless Richard was their father! lolol)

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                          Are these the only ones?

Parents Richard and Sarah:

MARY ANN ROBINSON - International Genealogical Index
                          Gender: Female Christening: 19 JAN 1819 Melton Mowbray, Leicester

SARAH ROBERTSON - International Genealogical Index
                          Gender: Female Christening: 27 JAN 1821 Melton Mowbray, Leicester

ELIZA ROBINSON - International Genealogical Index
                          Gender: Female Christening: 21 MAY 1823 Melton Mowbray, Leicester

HARRIETT ROBINSON - International Genealogical Index
                          Gender: Female Christening: 05 SEP 1830 Melton Mowbray, Leicester

I saw these two millers on the 1861 census - brothers, John (34) and Edward (31), living at Waltham On The Wolds and born at Sewstern:

RG9; Piece: 2304; Folio: 22; Page: 8

Maybe their father was connected to your Richard in some way? (unless Richard was their father! lolol)
                          Yes Merry these are the only known children from the second marriage.

do you have the link for that ref Merry? please
                          Julie

Comment

do you have the link for that ref Merry?
                            I du'no??? Do I??

When others post links to Ancestry pages they never work for me.

Comment

LOL!!! dont worry about it Merry... I did a bit of looking...

I wonder IF they are connected... ie brothers? but I guess I would need someone to see if there was a brother called Richard, I had a nosey at the dads Samuels birth in stainsby., Lincs but it isnt on Hugh wallis.....:(

what I mean that Stainsby is there, but Samuel Robinson b. 1797 or thereabouts isnt.

this is him on the 1871 cens: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...871&h=15688161
                              Last edited by Darksecretz; 05-08-08, 20:35.
                              Julie

Comment

Right,

An update...

Still no nearer really in solving this. I did find a marriage of a Richard Robinson (of St. Mary, Nottm) 1809 in HOBY, Leics to an Elizabeth NEWBY. otp. marriage by banns and the wits were Elizabeth Goodacre, William Oswin, and a Samuel Robinson (that is possibly a clerk, as he witness's alot of marriage entries).

I now know that MY Richard would have been born about 1787/8. (as he was 53 when he died in 1840)

I can find NO bapts for any Robinson children @ HOBY, or any deaths for an Elizabeth @ Hoby, (well, any deaths/burials at hoby even).

The ONLY Richard Robinson I can find bapt in Nottm is in 1787 @ Epperstone, BUT he appears to have married someone else.........

I guess that I really am still flogging a dead horse, as I really dont know now what to do, I think I have exhausted any lines......

Unless anyone can think of something else to try??

Julie

Comment

Where did he die, DarkSecretz?
                                  Elizabeth
                                  Research Interests:
                                  England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                  Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Did you look for wills while you were at the RO?

Even if there is one, it may not take you any further back, but I've just got one that gives the name of the testator's father and his maternal uncle, which gave me his mother's maiden name (I also got about 20 brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews for good measure...).

Comment

Had you considered this baptism?

RICHARD ROBINSON
                                      Male

Event(s):
                                      Birth:
                                      Christening: About 26 DEC 1786 Redmile, Leicester, England

Parents:
                                      Father: WILLIAM ROBINSON
                                      Mother: ANN

Redmile's not all that far from Waltham on the Wolds.

Other things you could try are non-conformist registers and the poor law index (there may be a settlement order or an apprenticeship).

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                                        Where did he die, DarkSecretz?
                                        He died @ Melton Mowbray, Elizabeth

Did you look for wills while you were at the RO?

Even if there is one, it may not take you any further back, but I've just got one that gives the name of the testator's father and his maternal uncle, which gave me his mother's maiden name (I also got about 20 brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews for good measure...).
                                        I hadnt found one for him didnt think to look for one for previous wife though, :o

Had you considered this baptism?

RICHARD ROBINSON
                                        Male

Event(s):
                                        Birth:
                                        Christening: About 26 DEC 1786 Redmile, Leicester, England

Parents:
                                        Father: WILLIAM ROBINSON
                                        Mother: ANN

Redmile's not all that far from Waltham on the Wolds.

Other things you could try are non-conformist registers and the poor law index (there may be a settlement order or an apprenticeship).
                                        erm, I hadnt seen that one Mary... :o is that a submitted one?

I wish that you had been at LRO on sat with me, I feel such a novice at this :(
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X