"Twin sons and daughters"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Twin sons and daughters"

Not (as far as I know) related to my OH, but I just noticed this looking through the baptisms for St Michael on Wyre, Lancashire, from 1738:

June 18: Richard, James, Anne and Agnes, twin sons & daughters at one birth of Ralph Dickinson & his wife Jane of Sowerby House, Upper Rawcliffe.

Then in the burials, not surprisingly:
    June 26 James, son of Ralph Dickinson
    Jul 1 Ann, daughter of Ralph Dickinson
    Aug 31 Richard, son of Ralph Dickinson

... and as far as I can see, Agnes survived! Though not found out how long for yet.

So was the term "quadruplets" not in use in those days? And if not, then what would they have called them if they were all the same sex?

(And by the way, it appears that Jane was only given the honour of having her name in the PR's because she had so many babies at once, not because she lived in the "big house", as the entry for their previous child only gives father's name.)
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

I wonder if they were identical boy twins and identical girl twins, which is more likely than 4 non-identical babies. I would have thought multiple births in those days were very likely to end in miscarriage and stillbirth so maybe they hadn't thought of words to describe large numbers than twins.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

wow Kite are they the first quads found ????????????? how interesting

Comment

Maybe he didn't know how to spell quadruplets, or wanted a way of being able to explain the sex easier.

Comment

I've recently found the baptisms of Ann, Agness & Sarah Sowerby on the 28th Feb 1780, followed by the burials of all 3 on the 2nd March.
          Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Working...
          X