WIFI - Help with basic understanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIFI - Help with basic understanding

After years of using a PC I have to admit that I know little if anything about WIFI. For example I have just looked at BT's range and the basic package gives one -250 WIFI minutes a month. What exactly does this mean?
    What happens after the 250 minutes is used does it cost more or do I have the plug into my telephone socket?
    I know that I need a router and that the system will become Wires Free.
    Maybe it is just for use when well away from home in a 'hot spot'.
    Would some kind person talk me through the basic understanding of WIFI say four or five things that I should know before going down this road.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Margaret,

What you are looking at with the BT stuff is their system where you can walk around the UK with a laptop that has WiFi capabilities and connect to the Internet wherever they have set up a WiFi internet connection transmitter.

Are you actually looking at turning your existing home system into WiFi?

If so, you are looking at the wrong stuff here.
    Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 05-08-08, 00:35. Reason: adjusting typos

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Hi Margaret,

blind leading the blind but I have just installed wifi at home-you get exactly the same as if attached to the phone line with a wire-depending on which package you have you can download as much as you like.
      Setting up the router was fairly easy-I needed a usb wireless adapter for the desktop-the first was broken when I got it and this one is really not compatible with Vista so still several problems. The first router packed up after 2 days as well!
      I chose wifi as we do not have a phone line near the computer.
      "Wirefree" it is not. Obviously the router needs a phone connection and a power source. Also the desktop has the adapter-connected by, yes, another wire :(
      Jennie
      Research: A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots .

Comment

Jenny, Thank you for your help I have been following your enquiries as well so good luck.

Trevor, I am not sure that we are on the same wave length (forgive me I don't mean to be rude or anything). I was at Cowes Week yesterday and BT were trying to convert me to use their Broadband. It was then that I found that I knew little about WIFI and thought that I would look ahead incase I buy a laptop in the near future and can link it to my desktop. They told me that I could use their system double the distant away from the router than any other system. I thought I would try and do some home work and am particulary interested in what this restricted download means and do I use the laptop the rest of the time plugged into the telephone socket. Thank you for replying.
        Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Hi, Dave here...

If you already have broadband, all you need is an Access Point. This connects to your existing router, and provides a wireless service.

We have this one...

Amazon.co.uk: Belkin 802.11g Wireless G Range Extender/Access Point: Electronics & Photo
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Margaret, we don't pay anything more for WIFI. Don't sign up for anything as you can have the same for just the cost of the Access point.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Margaret,

Trevor and WendyP are both correct. From what you say BT are trying to sell you their Broadband service nothing more nothing less.

Who is your current ISP, have you spoken to them about WiFi and what do they offer ?

To go WiFi all you need to have is the correct wireless router, I have this one NETGEAR Wireless Router,
              and it does the job. Whilst someone else is using the home pc I can be in another room or out the garden and use the laptop and no wires !!!!

HTH

Edit: Had a thunk and I think you may be talking about a Mobile Broadband Dongle ? This will suit if you are getting rid of your home pc and intend to only use a laptop. Have a read of this; Mobile Broadband
              Last edited by MTA; 06-08-08, 06:47. Reason: Had a thunk !

Comment

Merv, Thank you for your interest I am just about to read about a Dongle - thank you for the link.
                I am well aware that BT are trying to sell me their Broadband but I am happy with my present ISP although rather costly. 'You pay your money and takes your choice' I think the saying goes.
                This is just an updating exercise and to make myself aware of all the options.
                Many thanks.
                Margaret N

Comment

Working...
                X