Two Marriages for same couple???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Marriages for same couple???

I have a marrage listed for the same couple twice once in Dec quarter 1901 then June quarter 1904 in Camberwell
    Lucy Mary Metternich and Herbert Charles Catchpole any ideas why ??
    As far as I am aware they were not Jewish as I know they often have two marriages

Val, was Herbert in the armed forces? Sometimes soldiers got married for the first time without the army's permission, and they had to get married again with permission.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Could the second one have been a re-registration?

Or was the groom in the armed forces?

OC

Comment

ooh really I didnt know that !!! shall have to investigate further, thanks to both of you

Comment

News to me that Jewish people have 2 marriages!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell, lots of the ones in Val's tree do!
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

yes I have a weird family I do , lucky I dont take after them LOL

Comment

There's one couple in OH's tree - direct-line ancestors - for whom I have two records of marriage (copies of the parish register). As I recall, the first ceremony was by Licence, and the second by Banns. I'm inclined to suspect that there may have been a problem with the Licence - but certainly there must have been a significant irregularity with the first ceremony for a second to be needed.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I may send for the certs ,did not really want to get two but may have to

Comment

Herbert would have turned 21 about the time the second marriage (birth reg Q1 1883).

If someone marries underage without consent but the error is discovered later, then the marriage is still valid, so it's unlikely that's the reason unless the parents had dragged them back home, but they decided they would have a second ceremony when it was "legal".

Do you know when Lucy was born?

Comment

yes about 1882 Merry

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        I may send for the certs ,did not really want to get two but may have to
                        Val, just in case it's two refs. to the same marriage, you may need to put a note in the application for the second cert. to say "if it's actually the same ceremony as (ref. of 1st. marriage), I don't want the same cert. twice".
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

thanks Uncle John thats a good idea

Comment

If it is a re-registration or a correction to the earlier marriage, they will only send the most recent cert, as the earlier one will cross reference to the later one.

These amendment cross refs don't always appear on the GRO indexes.

OC

Comment

thanks again for your help

Comment

Alternatively if you order the later cert only the date on it should clear up whether there was an earlier marriage which was amended, or whether it was the later date.
                                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thats true thanks Nell

Comment

I have two marriages for the same couple Shreeve John Paynton Pigott and Amy Shether. The first one was by banns in church in Canterbury with family as witnesses on 26th Dec 1908 but his name was entered as Shelter not Shreeve and the second one was in Farnham Registery Office by certificate on 1st November 1909. He was in the Army (Sergeant in the Buffs) so I have assumed that the second one was "for the army".

His wife allegedly died in 1910 but we (relatives from her side and his side) can't find her death anywhere. He died in 1956 and his death was registered by a niece from his wife's side of the family.
                                    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Working...
                                    X