Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello to all.

Greetings to all

I'm new to this forum and a real novice on family tree subject. My wife and I have started filling in our immediate details in to Genes Reunited and we are now looking for a external PC program to collate and run our family tree from which we hope will be quicker and easier than using the some what clunky interface on the GR website.

Could anybody recommend a easy to use yet comprehensive program we could import GR data into and maintain all the data?

All the best
    StephenH.

Welcome to the site! I use Family Tree Maker 2006 - generally quite a popular option. Others prefer other software...all I would say is that you should make sure you source ABSOLUTELY everything - if you're not sure how much detail to give, then more rather than less has to be the rule.

Again, welcome!
    Last edited by wulliam; 04-08-08, 16:04. Reason: typo
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Welcome to the site. I also use Family Historian 3! You can find comparisons between the best programs and some of them (including Family Historian) allow you to download a demonstration program so you can decide if it will suit you.

I would agree with the words of advice above
      * always write make a note of the source (ie where you found out the piece of information). At first you think you are bound to remember but you won't!
      * have a notebook to jot things down in. You will lose those scaps of paper you make notes on!
      * don't assume anything about your family. There is a thread on here describing family myths, and how often they are only loosely based on fact.

Good luck with your adventure/addiction!

Anne

Comment

Hallo and welcome to the mad world of family history.

There are lots of fh software packages around and I think WH Smith probably stock the main ones.

I use PAF (Personal Ancestral File) which is free and downloadable from the LDS site FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records - its basic but an easy way of storing info on your computer and you can import/export using gedcom.

The above advice is all very sound. It also helps to record where you looked and didn't find anything to save you repeating searches.

And any queries - post them here and you will get the benefit of a wealth of experience.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Welcome Stephen - ask as many questions on here as you like. Do you subscribe to Ancestry? Most members on here find it invaluable.
          Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Stella View Post
            Welcome Stephen - ask as many questions on here as you like. Do you subscribe to Ancestry? Most members on here find it invaluable.
            Thanks one all! Keep the info coming please!

Stella, no I don't subscribe to Ancestry, what is it?

Started all this about a week ago. I love history! You should see the amount of information we have got in that short time, quite mind blowing!

More dates, than a thing with lots of dates!

All the best
            StephenH

Comment

Stephen Ancestry is a genealogical site which gives absolutely loads of information, including all the censuses going back to the 1800s. Don't know where you are, but Ancestry.co.uk has a 14 day free trial at the moment. There is loads of other stuff you can look up on there, plus building your tree on there too. Give it a go and you will see.
              Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Welcome Stephen - hope you enjoy the site.

As you are new to this hobby you might find it useful looking at the information in our Reference Library - known as the wiki.

Click on the Wiki tab on the blue navigation bar at the top of the screen and in the drop down menu select the Wiki main page. On the grid with the large icons click on the one entitled "Creating your Tree". You will see lots of useful advice and links to other parts of the wiki or external sites which may be of help to you.
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Stella View Post
                  Stephen Ancestry is a genealogical site which gives absolutely loads of information, including all the censuses going back to the 1800s. Don't know where you are, but Ancestry.co.uk has a 14 day free trial at the moment. There is loads of other stuff you can look up on there, plus building your tree on there too. Give it a go and you will see.
                  We are using Genes Reunited as my wife's family all seem to be on there . It sounds very similar to what you haves. We have a 6 mouths subscription with them so we will probably use that up and look at other resources along the way.

We are so disappointed we cannot get more information via the net like view actual marriage licences and birth & death certificates, one day!

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    Welcome Stephen - hope you enjoy the site.

As you are new to this hobby you might find it useful looking at the information in our Reference Library - known as the wiki.

Click on the Wiki tab on the blue navigation bar at the top of the screen and in the drop down menu select the Wiki main page. On the grid with the large icons click on the one entitled "Creating your Tree". You will see lots of useful advice and links to other parts of the wiki or external sites which may be of help to you.
                    Thanks Elaine

Comment

Stephen

There was a plan to allow folk access to actual certificates which has been scuppered. You can see Scots certs but not Eng/Wales.

FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records has lots of info (though be cautious about it and use the baptisms/marriages as guides to looking at the relevant registers) and transcript of 1881 census.

Just 4 more years and we can see the 1911 census, which should be a big help as 20th century is much harder than 19th to research.

I would thoroughly recommend Ancestry, it is invaluable. All the censuses 1841-1901, bmd indexes, WW1 service and pension records (where they survive), Pallot's baptism & marriage indexes and so much more.
                      I wouldn't have got so far so fast without it.

But there will also come a time when you will have to get out to an archive - another experience. Enjoy!
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of family history,Stephen.
                        I use Legacy, which is similar to Family Tree Maker, and is available free to download
                        Legacy Family Tree online store

If you like the product, you can upgrade to the Deluxe version for around $A29.00, but I used the freebie quite happily for years.

Beverley

Comment

hello Stephen and welcome

Here's a link to Ancestry UK

Free Trial - Ancestry.co.uk

and this is FreeBMD (births/marriages/deaths)

FreeBMD Home Page

The LDS site is free and also useful ... the 1881 census transcriptions are on there + other goodies

Forgot to say
                          Take your time trying out all the free sites before you decide on which sites you want to subscribe to

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 04-08-08, 17:16.
                          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Welcome Stephen this is a great site and you will find we are all very friendly and helpful.
                            I use Family tree maker 2006 it is simple and easy to use and very cheap to buy. I asked on here what everyone used and I went with the majority. I use ancestry I find I cannot do with out it. It has so much information the complete census collection 1841 -1901 for England, Wales and Scotland you can search all the BMD records from 1837 - 2005, British phone Directorys, WWI medal rolls, WWI Service Records, British Army WWI Pensions Royal Naval Casualties records and I could go on as they have loads more.

I can only reiterate what has already been said make sure you keep a note of where you find everything as you do tend to forget especially when your tree expands and keep your files in order.

Good luck with your tree and if you are ever stuck you can post threads on here and everyone will help you.
                            GWEN

Comment

Welcome, Stephen

I reckon everyone's already passed on the useful advice I had thought of: the Wiki, Ancestry, try the free sites first...

I find UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths Indexes & Census transcriptions for the UK, On-Line to be an excellent source of links - a lot of which are free. FreeBMD has been mentioned. If you land on the homepage there are links to the sister sites: FreeCEN (census transcriptions) and FreeREG (parish register transcriptions)... and to use the site, you need to click on the red Search stamp - not use the Ancestry search boxes at the top!... and check the Coverage section if you're after recent records, because it's not complete.

I don't think anyone's mentioned that you need to watch out when buying UK certificates: there are a number of sites which offer to be an intermediary and charge enormous sums to do so - but you'd only have to give them the same info as you'd be giving the GRO (or local record office), so it's better to bypass them, generally speaking.

most of all Enjoy!

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Welcome Stephen. Not a lot to add, except that it's best to have the "master" copy of your family tree on your own computer, not on an external site such as GenesReunited.

And (do as I say not as I did!!) make sure you have documentary evidence for each step you go back. It's very easy to latch on to the wrong family, go back several generations and then find a vital fact that scuppers months or years of research.

And a logical filing system helps. Each generation you go back doubles the number of people in the direct line.

Happy hunting, and don't be afraid to ask!
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi Stephen

I use family tree maker I was using 2005 edition, but my partner treated me to Family Tree maker 2008 platitum edition, which comes with 6 months free subscription to Ancestry.co.uk which is fab also comes with three month free subscription to Family Tree magazine. Bless him got it from Ebay for me

Also with the Family tree maker you can merge the census returns into your tree which saves me piles of paper

I think besides Ancestry, I use Free BMD site and Family search the most

I have been doing my tree since 1984 - I started when I was just 18 years old a scary 24 years ago, I have had no help at all from my parents who still think its a total waste of time! but it still hasn't stopped me and its so much easier now than when I started.
                                  I tend to find everyone in my tree and follow brothers and sisters familes as well.

When I have visted record offices and seen a name that in my tree but somewhere else I would write it down, it might seem no use at the time but it might just be that missing link you need later on. Its just happened to me I am going over the whole of my tree starting from stratch and found a note I wrote in a book in 1987! who turned out to be a great great great uncle!

I have only been on here a couple of day and yep every one very friendly

Karen

Comment

hello and a warm welcome to you brenda xxx

Comment

Hello Stephen and welcome to this site.

A word of caution - GR is fine for making contacts, but do check every piece of information you get from any contact, otherwise you will quickly be barking up the wrong tree. Not every one feels the need to prove their work and a lot of copying goes on.

GR does not hold any information for bmds/census etc, they merely redirect you to external sites, most of which work out cheaper if you subscribe to them direct and some of which are absolutely free.

Ask away on here, people love helping!

OC

Comment

Like Nell I use the PAF from the LDS but I also have a tribalpages website Family Trees - Genealogy & Family History and again that is free if you want it to be or you can upgrade to obtain more space which means you can save more photos and notes.
                                        I don't use Genes Reunited simply because I don't like the way the site is run and their pricing.
                                        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Working...
                                        X