Adding an unconfirmed relation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding an unconfirmed relation

I posted this once before but thought it handy to add again.

If you have a name that might be connected to your tree but is currently unconfirmed add the details to FTM as an unrelated individual.

You can save any details along with the name (bmd, census refs etc) in whatever method you prefer, this avoids losing the info and having to search all over again.

To add an unrelated individual;

From the People menu, select Add Unrelated Individual.

FTM then displays a blank family page. Enter known details about the individual's name and birth and death details as usual. Any notes, references or census information can be entered in the usual way from the family page.

Note: Because this individual is not currently related to anyone in your file, you need to use the Index of Individuals to navigate to any other Family Page

As and when you prove the connection use the Attach Spouse or Attach Child commands to attach the individual to your tree in the correct place.
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 04-08-08, 00:58.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

veyr handy to know thanks Glen

Comment

Hi Glen,
      Had never noticed that in FTM and I always thought that the adding of names yet to be conformed would be useful rather than havng the details on scraps of paper as I tend to do.
      Thanks for the tip.
      Cheers
      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Wright View Post
        Hi Glen,
        Had never noticed that in FTM and I always thought that the adding of names yet to be conformed would be useful rather than havng the details on scraps of paper as I tend to do.
        Thanks for the tip.
        Cheers
        Paul
        That is the intention behind the tip Paul, it is easier to have the info in one place, either slotting the indivudual(s) into the tree when everything is confirmed or deleting them as needed. Anything that saves hunting through the census, bmd and parish records again is worth the time.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

A great tip Glen, thanks.

A question, when downloading ftm to cd, do you know if uploaded census images, photos, certificates etc are saved?

Thanks.

Susan

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post

A great tip Glen, thanks.

A question, when downloading ftm to cd, do you know if uploaded census images, photos, certificates etc are saved?

Thanks.

Susan
            As long as you are saving the .FTW file yes they are, if you save a GEDCOM file then images, photos etc won't transfer. Ged files are text only.

At the risk of possibly trying to tell you something you already know, links to a visual guide to filetypes and creating backup files can be found at the bottom of the following wiki page

Family Tree Maker - Family Tree Forum

Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 05-08-08, 00:41.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Just bumping this one up, and using the tip myself for my latest discoveries.:D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
              X