Lovely wedding pic but no idea of date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovely wedding pic but no idea of date

Have this lovely wedding photo but no idea of the date, all I know is that its a Parkinson wedding, and the man with the beard on the front row is my great grandfather, the spendidly named Walter Pepperday Parkinson and the lady in black sitting next to him is my great grandmother Mary Ellen Parkinson ( nee Creasey) Mary Ellens mum owned a pub and I think this might have been taken in the back yard of the pub. If I had a rough idea of the date I might be able to work out which one of there 8 children wedding it was!

Karen

Hi Karen .... can't really help with the date (Edwardian rather than Victorian) but thought I'd say welcome to the site

Haven't seen Barbara today 'Just Barbara' ... she and Don are the experts at dating
    Last edited by Rachel Scand; 03-08-08, 15:47.
    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thank you
      I know Walter and Mary had 5 daughters and 2 sons, the man in the bowler hat behind Mary I think is Great Uncle Edgar and the lady next to him but one might be Kitty and thats as far as I can go!

Karen

Comment

hope you don't mind ... have given it a slight 'tweak' so it shows up better

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I'm looking at hat fashions ... this site's quite useful

1912 - Titanic fashion Era Dress Wedding Pictures of Bride and Group

Comment

Thanks for the tweak, I just love the bramble bush in the foreground!
            I am sure my nan is on there ( have a look at another one of my posts for her fab pic!)
            I look quite a bit like my nan and my brother looks like my grandad! will check my tree for wedding dates that I have

Comment

Don't suppose there's anything useful on the back, like the name and address of the photographers ?
              Is it in postcard format ?

Comment

i think very early 1900,s brenda xxx

Comment

Nothing on the back and its a postcard

Comment

Only have three Parkinson weddings so far that it could be
                    Florence 1916 who married Robert Foster or Harriett 1919 who married Ernest Hardiment and my nans first marriage to Alec Baker in June 1923

Comment

I know the flowers are evening primrose and they flower from June to September not much help lol

Comment

Originally posted by Karens.Tree View Post
                        Nothing on the back and its a postcard
                        with or without a line down the middle to separate the address and message ?

The dividing line began (I believe) in 1902

getting a bit nerdy ? :D maybe you could scan the back ?

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 03-08-08, 19:08.

Comment

lol, other half collects postcards and has thousands! and its got a line

Comment

morning Karen

There are not too many clues that one can get from this group study but you really only have two out of the three dates that you have given to consider. Either the 1919 one or the 1923 one and, to be honest, I would favour the latter one more so myself. Going by the style of head wear that the women are collectively wearing I would suggest that this was your nan's first marriage to Alec Blake in the June of 1923. The hats shown are a mixture of wide and short brimmed, high crowned, and have a mixture of decorations (some with some without), and they preceed the cloche hat which was introduced in 1924/25 and would stay in fashion until 1930. The seperate jacket and skirt with a blouse that the woman, third from the left on the front row, is wearing would also point me towards this train of thought. Also have you a birth for about two years prior to this date as there is a young baby sitting on the lap of the woman on the far right of the picture (well that is what it looks like to me ).

don

Comment

Hello Don

I'm still googling weddings and hats etc. .... these 2 have a similar feel, although they're 1916-18 but then who's to say how up to date they all were with the fashions

Old Wedding Photos 1917 Fashions Bridal Dress Pictures of Bride

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 04-08-08, 12:46.

Comment

I don't think it would be my nan's first marriage as she destroyed everything well thats what my mum says, I daren't even tell my mum I have the divorce papers! as Mr Baker pushed my nan down the stairs when she was pregnant causing her to lose the twins she was carrying and breaking her leg as well, but as it has pics of her parents on it it might have survived.

Karen

Comment

Working...
                                X