need some help to decide please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some help to decide please

I want to apply for a BC of a Thomas Heyes I have his MC and he states his age as 21 and as he married in 1912 this means he was born abt 1891. The marriage took place in St Helens Lancaster. I know I have asked this before but would appreciate some help. His fathers name is John who is a miner and I have found a couple of John's on the census with sons called Thomas but none of them fit his year of birth. So I searched the birth records and there are so many Thomas Heyes not sure what ones to consider as I am not familar with the area. I have asked the member of family I am doing this tree for but she cannot help. This is my last crack at this and if I cannot sort it I think I will give up with it. There are no clues on the MC with regard to witness's
    GWEN

Gwen, do you mean the town of St Helens in Lancashire, or is it a church called St Helen's in the town of Lancaster, please?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Gwen

It's possible he lied about his age so he could marry without his parents' consent.
      I'm off to have a look now.

Oh, did he fight in WW1 - his age would be on his army records.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Have you also looked on census for Hayes?

Comment

There's a Thomas Hayes born 1891 with father John in Warrington in 1901
          RG13; Piece: 3582; Folio: 82; Page: 23.

Comment

If the marriage took place after 5th April 1912, he might not have been born at the 1891 census. Ought to be on the 1901 though, in theory.

Edit: cross posted with Nell
            Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 03-08-08, 18:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
              This is my last crack at this and if I cannot sort it I think I will give up with it.

If all else fails, Gwen, then when the 1911 census comes online, hopefully you will be able to find him on there and get more clues that way.
              KiteRunner

Comment

FreeBMD has a Thomas Heyes Sep quarter 1891 Warrington 8c 204.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                  Gwen, do you mean the town of St Helens in Lancashire, or is it a church called St Helen's in the town of Lancaster, please?
                  The Parish church in St Helens Lancaster
                  GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Sussex View Post
                    If the marriage took place after 5th April 1912, he might not have been born at the 1891 census. Ought to be on the 1901 though, in theory.

Edit: cross posted with Nell
                    Married 16th March 1912
                    GWEN

Comment

So you mean the parish church in the town of St Helens, county Lancashire?
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                        There's a Thomas Hayes born 1891 with father John in Warrington in 1901
                        RG13; Piece: 3582; Folio: 82; Page: 23.
                        This looks promising as the fathers occupation is stated as a coal miner on the MC but is warrington far from St Helens. The address on the marriage cert is 29 epsom St, Parr. Thanks for your help very much appreciated.
                        GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                          So you mean the parish church in the town of St Helens, county Lancashire?
                          The Cert actually reads The parish church in the parish of St Wark. St Helens in the county of St Helens Lancaster
                          GWEN

Comment

Yes, sorry, they used to say the county of Lancaster for the county of Lancashire, I was just trying to check that it was the town of St Helens and not the actual town of Lancaster!

(That church name confused me for a minute, but GENUKI lists a St Mark church in St Helens)
                            Last edited by KiteRunner; 03-08-08, 23:38.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

As I am not very familar with that area I dont mind you asking and the family so far all seem to come from St Helens Lancaster, Rainhill Lancaster, West Derby Liverpool. I expect they could have moved to warrington.
                              I think like you say I will have to wait for the 1911 census. But I am not a patient person as I scream out loud.
                              GWEN

Comment

Thanks for that the name was difficult to read it is not written very clearly.
                                I have made a note it reads St Marks.
                                GWEN

Comment

Looking at google maps

Parr is just west of St. Helens and Warrington is just a few miles south west of St Helens so looking promising.

St Helens Lancashire isn't near Lancaster at all, which is much further north and west of Warrington.

Definitely rugby league country!

Comment

Ancestry's army service records have a couple of Thomas Hayes both giving addresses in Widnes - which isn't far from Warrington.

And there are two Thomas Heyes with addresses in St. Helens in the service records.

Comment

Thanks little Nell that is helpful but I think I will have to wait until the 1911 census there are to many Thomas Heyes born in Warrington I've found three and I do not want to spend more money on this as I really need the money for my own tree.
                                      thanks for you help
                                      GWEN

Comment

I wish I could have helped more - and I keep hoping you will fall over a Smoothy in Coggeshall!!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X