Susanna Bacon again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susanna Bacon again

I have received Susanna's birth certificate (top marks to Lincs CC again). I don't know why, but I don't quite feel she is 'mine'. I think it is just the fact that she states on her marriage cert in 1856 that she is 19 when her DOB is 30/08/1839 on this cert, which would have made her just 17. Father's name is John in both instances, profession labourer. I digress slightly.

What I want to know is, what is the LDS site telling me? Susanna Bacon comes up on the pedigree resource file; I click on her name and it gives her parents' names as per her birth cert. Then I have clicked on submission search number (new territory for me), entered last name Bacon and clicked search. It brings up a list of 27 Bacons (tempted to say rashers of lol). So who are they, what is the list telling me please?

*yes I have spotted the name and address of the submitter and will be dashing off a letter to her poste haste!*
    Rose

She may have added 2 years to feel more grown up - or maybe the original cert said 7 but looked like a 9.

If you are in doubt, you need to look on 1841 to see if there is a Susanna Bacon born 1839.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

LDS search tips FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records I think the submission number is all the records submitted by the same person, so presumably all the Bacons in that number are related.

Comment

Ah, thanks Nell. I must contact the submitter.

I am beginning to feel more like this birth certificate is correct (possibly just trying to convince myself I haven't wasted £7 lol). I've got a Susanna Bacon bc1839 on the 51 and 41 with the right parents, in the right place.

Her marriage certificate definitely says 19 but I think she lied. Her husband (Thomas Patchett Clayton) was 24 so quite a bit older than her and they married in Sneinton Notts for some reason. I wondered whether she was pregnant but her first child was born 9 months later, almost to the day so she didn't even have time to have a miscarriage and get pregnant again with him.

Witnesses don't shed any light on it either (William Goddard and Alice Hatton).

I don't know why this age business is bothering me so much. If I had got her birth certificate first and then her marriage I would probaly authomatically have assumed she lied about her age to the vicar.

Having said that, I've just looked at the other censuses and in 61 and 71 she is going along with the same tale of born 1837. Then 81, 91 and 01 suggest she was bc1839, 40 and 39 respectively. I shall have to find out when she died and see if the death cert sheds any light on it.

Sorry to ramble on, I'm kind of thinking out loud here now lol.
        Rose

Comment

The death cert will only give the age the informant thought she was. If she lied about her age, the informant may just repeat the lies.

My ex has a gt x lots auntie who only aged 3 years between two censuses, but whoever informed her death meanly told her right age!

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
            LDS search tips FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records I think the submission number is all the records submitted by the same person, so presumably all the Bacons in that number are related.

Well, or at least the submitter thinks they are!!
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes, I did think that after I posted. the trouble with personal submissions is that sometimes they are pure fantasy, and sometimes they are spot on, but its so irritating when they don't give sources. I did find my gt x 3 Norfolk grandparents' marriage on it as "Apr 1794". I couldn't understand why they didn't have the exact date if they knew the month. When I went to the Millennium Library in Norwich I discovered that the marriage register for that period hadn't survived, BUT the banns register had, and the banns were called in April. That was great, but I wish the submitter had included that info to start with as I would then have been more confident about the quality of the information, instead of thinking it was a guess.

Comment

I thought the same thing when I saw the submitter had put my ancestors year of birth but not date. I'll have to wait and see what she says when I have written to her.
                Rose

Comment

Working...
                X