Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On-line DNA tests a waste of money

says WHICH, the consumer magazine.

The results are so vague that it is the equivalent of telling you your star sign.

OC

Oh dear....*blushes slightly*...

I sent my DNA sample off on tuesday and am awaiting the results.

I'm not expecting to be linked into anyones family tree...the DNA test takes you much,much further back in time.

To be honest with you,I don't know what I'm expecting from them...my dad was 'done' last year via a different company,(more expensive),and it was very interesting.He was delighted to find out he was,(probably!),of Anglo Saxon or Danish Viking descent...he was very happy.So were both my brothers and my nephew!

I've sent mine out of curiosity,the test was cheap at half price,and because I've got a bit of money to waste!

Sandra
    Sandra:smilee:

Comment

Genetically defective testing

You'd think an organisation like Which would at least get Ancestry's name right (they've even spelled it "Ancestory" in the URL).
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 02-08-08, 13:24.

Comment

I believe Lorraine Kelly is going to be doing a documentary type tv programme using DNA.

This snippet was sent to me by a third party who'd received a ex services newsletter which contained this info. Not sure if it was just intended for ex-service people or not.

This is a documentary style programme which uses DNA testing to help people discover their past. Lorraine's production team is looking for people who have stories to tell about long-lost relatives, unknown siblings, missing parents and any other situation where DNA profiling could help. There are many heart-warming stories where re-establishing relationships and proving a blood tie can bring fresh hope for future generations. If you are interested, contact Lorraine's team on 0871 827 5020 or email dnastories@stv.tv

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
          I believe Lorraine Kelly is going to be doing a documentary type tv programme using DNA.

This snippet was sent to me by a third party who'd received a ex services newsletter which contained this info. Not sure if it was just intended for ex-service people or not.

This is a documentary style programme which uses DNA testing to help people discover their past. Lorraine's production team is looking for people who have stories to tell about long-lost relatives, unknown siblings, missing parents and any other situation where DNA profiling could help. There are many heart-warming stories where re-establishing relationships and proving a blood tie can bring fresh hope for future generations. If you are interested, contact Lorraine's team on 0871 827 5020 or email dnastories@stv.tv

As my birth father was attempting to lead a lifestyle Rasputin would have been envious of i wonder whether Lorraine would be interested. Then again i could probably blow the budget for the entire series or match somehow to every other test thay have completed!!!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post

I have seen Lorraine's programme its on Sky Three or something obscure like that. I have to say it was really painful to watch it as it was about people's feelings then the last 2 mins was the DNA part.
            Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

The tests have been "half price" for many months now, due no doubt to the fact that the takeup at "full price" is desperately low and they need to vastly increase their database to attract donors.

It does seem an expensive way of finding out that ONE, just ONE, of your ancestors came via Denmark at some point in time. What if all your other ancestors came from Timbuctoo? You'll never know and that would be a far more significant influence on your genealogy.

I also have issues with the storage of this information. Just about every company which offers these tests is a commercial company and if there is money to be made out of the data they have collected I'm sure they will, sooner or later.

It's a bit of fun, but an expensive bit of fun to my mind.

OC

Comment

As far back as I know I am "English" but I know that that could include Viking, Norman (really Viking), Saxon, Roman, Celt and who knows what.

But its so diluted now I can't see its of any real use. I know where my great x 4 grandparents came form, that's far enough away in the past for me.

I'd rather have more old photos so I can see where my various features came from. I know my ears (younger son has them too) were my Dad's, and he got them from his Mum, but whether they were Cambridge or Warwickshire ears I don't know!
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Its the same old story. Programs for reality praying on people's emotions but not actually getting anywhere or finding out any facts.

Why would anyone open up themselves for this?

I don't have a problem with people's quests I have had one for as long as I can remember but I think if you want to find your relatives, ancestors, long lost fathers or mothers and siblings its best done properly with the right organisations and in private with lots of privacy and confidentiality to save everyone's heartache.

Edit to say:

I think these DNA tests can only tell where in the world you are most likely descended from ie Northern Europe, Slavic regions, Mediterranean, Africa etc etc and that is interesting but thats only what it will tell you and yes I'd find that interesting and I'd like to know not sure I'd pay for it at the moment some people will.

Unless you compare it with someone elses DNA direct there's not much point in it in terms of direct family history and if you found a sibling or relative wanting to do that then I would presume that you'd find a reputable organisation to do that with and it would be mutual. It would only be useful if both parties would like to prove they were related.

I agree with Little Nell the point of family history is to find our ancestors and see how they lived and what they did and the life they led, what they looked like and their lives. Its all encompassing. It is interesting to find our ethnic roots and that is only what this DNA test will do. I'd like to know where in Europe my ancestors came from however, I think I know because I have travelled the facts already, maybe that'd be the next steps when I get to know the 'people' and their lives. I've gone back a few hundred years in these islands...
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-08-08, 18:28.

Comment

Incidentally...I'm paying just under £50 for the test.I'm not paying really silly money for it....(It's such a bargain!)

I'm expecting to be underwhelmed when the results come through....a series of indecipherable digits which won't make much sense.

My dad's results were 'packaged' quite nicely with certificates,but I receive my results online....I'll just have to wait and see.

Sandra.
                    Sandra:smilee:

Comment

The accepted fact at the moment, is that all human life originated in the bowl of Africa, so that is where we all come from, and only the route to here varies!

It may be quite interesting to know that ONE of your female ancestors came via Spain 17,000 years ago, but it doesn't add much to your knowledge of your family history.

As it happens, I know that my own mtDNA is found in a tiny village in Iceland and it spread from there to the highlands of Scotland. BUT WHEN?! And who was she?

I can see the point (but only just) of one name study DNA tests. These can be very useful if the testing is done intelligently, but they still don't answer the question: Who was he, where did he live, WHEN did he live, what was his name?

OC

Comment

And was he a Holden?
                        Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Pippa

That is more of a joke than you think! My 2 x GGF James Holden was illegitimate and we ought to be Ashtons really. It was his mother who was a Holden.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            The accepted fact at the moment, is that all human life originated in the bowl of Africa, so that is where we all come from, and only the route to here varies!

It may be quite interesting to know that ONE of your female ancestors came via Spain 17,000 years ago, but it doesn't add much to your knowledge of your family history.

As it happens, I know that my own mtDNA is found in a tiny village in Iceland and it spread from there to the highlands of Scotland. BUT WHEN?! And who was she?

I can see the point (but only just) of one name study DNA tests. These can be very useful if the testing is done intelligently, but they still don't answer the question: Who was he, where did he live, WHEN did he live, what was his name?

OC
                            Exaclty OC you've hit the nail on the head as usual.

Its about the 'people' who were they, what did they do, how did they live what were their lives...

... and where did they go...

... and we are here!

Comment

Do you think there's any benefit in the following situation...

I am descended (as most of us are) from an unmarried mother and unnamed father - but I suspect I know who the father is. I can trace other descendants of his down through the generations to someone who is alive today and willing to take part in a DNA test. If there is a match, can I then be sure that we share the same male ancestor?

This is very hypothetical - I'm not in this situation. But would it work??
                              Kind regards,
                              William
                              Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

DNA tests have no genealogical value at all.

They have a slight anthropological value but only slight.

They are based on poor science.

To expand the first statement a DNA test cannot and never will be able to determine who a father of a child is. They can determine who is not a father but cannot determine who is the father.
                                One can make some assumptions based on the results of DNA but one is not presented with proof.

The second statement is based on the fact that our ancestors roamed the land masses of the world breeding and interbreeding as they went.
                                The resultant DNA is therefore widely distributed which makes any valid conclusions suspect. One can therefore only talk in terms of probabilities rather than facts.

The reason DNA tests are based on poor science is that the research and results were based on tiny samples and extrapolated. This means that vast swathes of DNA has never been tested and could prove the earlier assumptions to be totally inaccurate.

If you wish to pay for the privilege of taking part in an experiment that is your right.
                                However pay knowing that any results are, due to the limitations of knowledge, only going to be assumptions at best and wild guesses at worst.
                                Cheers
                                Guy
                                Last edited by Guy; 03-08-08, 22:05.
                                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Wulliam

As Guy says, dna tests will never give you a 100% YES, only a 100% NO.

This is due largely to the imponderables of human behaviour.

Joe Bloggs is illegitimate and believes he is the son of Fred Smith. Fred agrees to be tested and they have a match on their Y chromosome..

Fred Smith then says that his brothers and cousins, his father and his grandfather all availed themselves of Ms Bloggs favours, and of course Fred Smith and his male relations will all have the same Y chromosome. Further work needs to be done on autosomal dna to determine which, if any, of the Smith men is the father of Joe Bloggs, as many other men, NOT called Smith, are likely to share the same Y chromosome as well.

You do not get that sort of dna test on the internet.

Of course, if the Y chromosome of Joe Bloggs and Fred Smith does not match, then there the matter ends and Joe Bloggs is unlikely to ever find out who his father really is.

OC

Comment

You can tell I didn't work very hard on Biology at school! Thanks, Guy & OC, very much for the explanations!!
                                    Kind regards,
                                    William
                                    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Don't worry Wulliam, DNA testing and the results you can get from it, is one of the most widely misunderstood subjects.

Due mostly to the grand claims made by the testing companies, who are almost guilty of mis-selling in my opinion. DNA testing for genealogical purposes, that is for geographical origins, has already been banned in California, I think, and nowhere in the world is DNA evidence alone able to convict anyone of a crime.

(Autosomal DNA testing is another kettle of fish entirely, but is really only practical in forensic cases due to the huge expense and time involved)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                        Further work needs to be done on autosomal dna to determine which, if any, of the Smith men is the father of Joe Bloggs, as many other men, NOT called Smith, are likely to share the same Y chromosome as well.
                                        OC
                                        Always assuming that the supposed father is not a twin or triplet etc. ;)
                                        Cheers
                                        Guy
                                        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
                                        X