RN Officer service records now on Docsonline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RN Officer service records now on Docsonline

Records for RN Officers joining between 1756-1917 are now on Documentsonline
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Thanks for that Ann. Just found one of mine (free) that I paid a researcher to find a couple of years ago!
    Elaine

Comment

Yabba Dabba Doo!!!

Ann - thank you so much for posting the above! I have been at such a dead end with my family for so long that I had completely stopped checking for new records on TNA.

I have just found and downloaded my gg grandfather's records starting in 1854!! So, although I have never been able to find a baptism for him and his age varies wildly on the census, I now have what he says is his date and place of birth. On top of that, I have his physical description (including the fact that he was pitted with smallpox) and a record of all ships he served on.

As he was the eldest child, his date of birth given at enlistment may even help me to find his parents' marriage at last!

What a great start to the weekend!!
      Gillian
      User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Congratulations, Gillian!

Isn't it great when something like that happens? I'm so happy for you! ;)

Tim
        "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Thanks Tim!

I am so fired up with enthusiasm again that here I am back at the computer before 8 on a Saturday morning - and I don't even mind that it is raining!
          Gillian
          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Well, it hasn't got mine!

I have the service records for my grandfather and great-grandfather who were both officers in the Royal Navy (Engineers) and neither of them are there. So beware, because it isn't complete!
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Engineers aren't included.:(

I had to look under "Why can't I find an entry?"

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Royal Naval Officers' Service Records
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks for that!

I found OH's grandfather's officer service record - having already had his Seaman's record. Then I found his g-g-father's, likewise. Then I had a sudden thought and found I record I hadn't thought to look for for Gx2-g-father: his seaman's record under the alternative spelling! (That wasn't free, but it's another snippet to add to the info about him.)

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Can't find my only known RN officer.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It has reminded me that I haven't looked for recent changes since 12 Feb:
                    WW1 Campaign Medals - 20,998 more
                    Wills - 16 more
                    Death Duty Registers - 125 more
                    Registers of Seamen's Services - 22,091 more
                    Recommendations for Honours and Awards (Army) - 1 fewer
                    Aliens Registration Cards - formerly 1,257, but none there now
                    RN Officer's Service Records - 39,768 all new
                    War Diaries - 1 more
                    Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I use docsonline so rarely, I can't be sure I'm searching properly.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Do you mean that Aliens Registration cards have been withdrawn? That's a bit of a retrograde step isn't it? Or do they sometimes withdraw to work on them or something? I'm glad I printed the one I found at the time!

Comment

Originally posted by Trina View Post
                          Do you mean that Aliens Registration cards have been withdrawn? That's a bit of a retrograde step isn't it? Or do they sometimes withdraw to work on them or something? I'm glad I printed the one I found at the time!
                          I wasn't sure what to make of it - but this is the current list (from Advanced Search):
                          WW1 Campaign Medals (5482261)
                          WW2 Seamen's Medals (108389)
                          Famous Wills (102)
                          Wills (1016161)
                          Death Duty Registers (71865)
                          Victorian Prisoners Photograph Albums (626)
                          Registers of Seamen's Services (604410)
                          Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) (7006)
                          French Muster Rolls (5902)
                          WW1 Prisoners of War Interviews (3429)
                          Royal Naval Division (50108)
                          Victoria Cross Registers (1237)
                          Recommendations for Honours and Awards (Army) (62146)
                          Ancient Petitions, Henry III - James I (17932)
                          Poor Law Union Correspondence (5022)
                          Domesday Book (24211)
                          Combat Reports, Second World War (33693)
                          WW1 Airwomen's Records (31091)
                          Seamen's Wills (19927)
                          WW1 Women's Royal Naval Service (7444)
                          RN Officer's Service Records (39768)
                          War Diaries (11461)

Christine

Comment

I've just had another look at the list of records. There have been some additions:
                            Registers of Seamen's Services (604,910) - another 500
                            RN Officer's Service Records (49,216) - another 9,448

Christine

Comment

And those Naval Officers' records aren't free any more :(

Not that £3.50 is an enormous sum, but it was nicer not to have to pay anything at all!

Christine

Comment

No, £3.50 isn't an enormous sum, but just doing the first two surnames that came to mind revealed 14 records, all of which are mine!! So that's.......£49!!

Hmmm........decisions, decisions! Great stuff though!

Comment

Yes - I know what you mean. I (fortunately) managed to "harvest" four while they were free. There are now another three, at least. Fortunately there's only one of those that I'm really likely to go for if I have to pay.

Christine

Comment

When were they free?

Comment

When a category of images is first available, they seem to be free for a day or two.

I got the VC indexes for free like that!

I think they do tell you that - but they don't blaze it abroad, as you might say. A sort of quiet aside. I have no idea why they would make them free at first, and then payable afterwards.

Christine

Comment

Let's say it was when i was on holiday then shall we? (last week).....would make me feel better :o

Comment

Working...
                                        X