Looking for Thomas Brewerton 1837

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Thomas Brewerton 1837

Thanks to Mary I have found an article about Thomas Brewerton who was convicted in 1865 and sent to WA. He was born 1837 according to his discription in the convict records and he was in court in London.
    I cannot find him on the 1861 no matter how hard I try. He was a baker. He marries a Louisa in 1864.
    I do have a Thomas Brewerton 1836, born Surrey, whose father was a match maker on the 1841. I also have him on the 1851 but missing on the 1861. Am reluctant to say that the Surrey Thomas is the convict one till some proof.
    Any thoughts?
    Many thanks
    Jeanie
    Also if anyone can find him in OZ after that it would be great.
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

where was he in 51 please Jeanie?
    Rose

Comment

Hi Rosie he is in Surrey with his mother Ann and his brother Samuel who has been called his father!!
      I have to go out now, family duty.
      Will look in this evening.
      Searching for:
      English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

having been unable to find him in 51 never mind 61, and no birth on igi or bmd, I am assuming this is his marriage?

Marriages Dec 1864 (>99%)
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BREWERTON Thomas St George S 1d 215 <<<<<<<
        CHAMBERS Annie Maria St George S 1d 215
        Ferrer Louisa St. George S 1d 215 <<<<<<
        Hooper William Francis Josiah St George S 1d 215

will see if I can find louisa in 51.
        Rose

Comment

nope, can't find louisa in 51 either but their marriage is on the IGI 12/12/1864 St Jude Southwark.

I bet you have got this info any. Sorry couldn't help :o

*sneaks out and closes door quietly*
          Rose

Comment

*tuts* I've just googled "thomas brewerton" +convict and guess which thread was first (of a whole THREE)?
            Rose

Comment

Have a look at the Old Bailey site.

Old Bailey Online - The Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674-1913 - Central Criminal Court

Looks as though he was convicted of burglary.

Comment

This index says he was born in 1836:

Comment

Well, it must be your man. Louisa sounds amazing

You should write up the story of the trial for the magazine.

Comment

I see a Samuel Brewerton was also tried at the Old Bailey in 1848 for stealing 494 boxes of lucifer matches. In view of the match connection he's presumably the brother/father you mentioned earlier.

Update: it says he was aged 17, so he could well be Thomas's brother.
                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 01-08-08, 20:43.

Comment

I have a possible sighting for Thomas in 1861, but it's a bit of a long shot.

There's a prisoner registered only by his initials, T.B., in the Wandsworth House of Correction. He was born in Lambeth, Surrey, but his date of birth is c. 1839, and his occupation appears to be tailor or sailor, which is very different from a baker.

Class: RG9; Piece: 373; Folio: 110; Page: 9

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                        Have a look at the Old Bailey site.

Old Bailey Online - The Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674-1913 - Central Criminal Court

Looks as though he was convicted of burglary.
                        God, I'm rubbish at this lol! I want to read about Louisa and the trial and I can't find it from the link. If I search for Thomas Brewerton aged 26-29, defendant, no matches come up:(
                        Rose

Comment

Just put Brewerton in the search box.

Comment

ah ha! When I put Thomas Brewerton in the keyword box it brought up hits from 1600 and something.

Off for a read. thanks Mary.
                            Rose

Comment

Hi Mary and Rosie,
                              Many thanks for your input.
                              This family is part of my one named study, not connected to me, and has been very interesting since the brother Samuel married to Emma disappears and I'm convinced I have him in Newcastle on the 1861. On the 1861 Emma is alone in London described as married. The Newcastle Samuels family having something to do with match making which is what the Surrey ones did. Rather ironic that he was caught stealing some matches.
                              Many thanks for the Old Baily link, Mary.
                              The father died somewhere between 1841/51.
                              I was hoping to find 2 Thomas Brewertons in the London/Surrey/Middlesex area but it does look more than likely that this convict Thomas is the Surrey one. I think your TB might be the one, Mary.
                              Rosie on the 1851 if you put in Samuel Brewerton and nothing else you will see Samuel married to Emma. Look at the image and you will see Thomas.
                              Did you both notice that in the newspaper report TB was known as Velvet Ned!!
                              I have my parents staying with me till Sunday and then will try to do some more hunting.
                              Many thanks to both of you
                              Jeanie
                              Searching for:

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanie with one n. View Post
                                Did you both notice that in the newspaper report TB was known as Velvet Ned!!
                                The mind boggles.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes, I noticed the Velvet Ned reference; there's also a reference here to a bushranger of that name in Australia, although it may not be the same person:

Bushrangers - Concept - Electronic Encyclopedia of Gold in Australia

There's no sign of Thomas in the WA BMDs, so I assume he went back to the UK when he'd served his 14 years. I can't see him on the electoral roll. There should be a ticket of leave for him, but I don't think they're online for WA.

Did you notice there's a Louisa Brewerton, married, with a 2-year-old daughter of the same name, living in Bethnal Green in 1861 (with no husband present)?
                                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 01-08-08, 23:03.

Comment

You'll find a few references to Thomas Brewerton aka Velvet Ned on Google book search, too, although one book seems to think that was Caseley's nickname.

Comment

Just noticed that Samuel's wife Emma was living next door to Thomas's "wife" Louisa in 1861.

Comment

More in the Times:

Times Archive

Comment

Working...
                                        X