Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another "place of birth" to be read, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "place of birth" to be read, please.

- Ancestry.co.uk

It is for Mary at the bottom of the page. It's something, then Saddleworth, W. Yorks. I already had her born in Saddleworth.

They have added "ditto" marks for her, but she should be Mary Newton and not Mary Haigh, as she is the mother of Catherine and the Mary Newton I was looking for before.

I have also found her death in 1871 in Ashton on Cheshire FreeBMD. It must be her - it says 82 years old.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

I looked at it and thought it said Roughtown... surely not I thought! But Googled it and there is a place called Roughtown in Yorkshire!
    Sue

Comment

I have changed my mind again - I think the people on the 1861 census ARE them!

Mary, It was Lydgate (near Saddleworth), and the place of birth for Mary is Houghton.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Sue,

You are right!

Both William and Mary were born in Saddleworth, but William specifically at Lydgate and Mary at Roughtown!

Phew, we got there in the end!
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:

Comment

the saddleworth moors is yorkshire,brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
          X