Wilsons in Westmoreland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilsons in Westmoreland

Hi I am trying to find my fathers side of the family. They were from Hutton Roof near Kirby Lonsdale. My father was born in Burton in Lonsdale in 1916 John Albert Wilson.

His father John Wilson was born in 1892 at Low Bentham.
    Married Ann Stamp 26 December 1914. who lived in Sandsend near Whitby. They moved to Leeds as he worked on the railways.

He had 2 sisters
    Ester Wilson (Aunty Tet to my Father).born 1899 in Hutton Roof. Had the Hutton Roof post office. Married to a James Thistlethwaite.

Mary Wilson was born 1896 in Hutton Roof and Married Frank Jackson.

Their father was John Walker Wilson Born 1867 in Hutton Roof died 1949 and was married in 1891 to Frances Isabella Coates who was born in 1873 in St Bees Cumberland.

His father was John Wilson born in Sedbergh in 1846 died 7 June 1891, married Frances Walker in 1867 who was born in Kirby Lonsdale in1845.

They had children

Agnes Wilson in 1864. in 1901 was a nurse.

William Walker Wilson in 1865 who married a Clara Ella and had children
    John William Wilson 1896-1917.
    Fanny Gertrude Wilson 1898
    Esther Isabella Wilson 1900

John Walker Wilson 1867- 1949

Esther Alice Wilson 1870

Thomas Edward Wilson 1872. 1901 Blacksmith

Fanny Gertrude Wilson 1884-1892

Susanah Wilson 1887

I am having difficulty finding John Wilson 1846 father.
    I have found a William Wilson of Hutton Roof who had a John Wilson at the same time but it says he was born in Hutton Roof.

If there is anybody that can help it would be great Cheers Paul.

You have difficulty finding John Wilson where? Have you found a birth cert or is he lost on the census?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell - I think he's looking for the father of John Wilson (1846), so that would be before civil registration. Might find a marriage for him though.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

William Wilson ?

Hi all,
        Yes Its John Wilson's 1846 Father, I have found a William Wilson who lived in Hutton Roof and had a son called John Wilson at the same birth date But on census says he was born in Hutton Roof and I have him being born in Sedbergh near Hutton Roof. I have a copy of John Wilsons Marriage to Fanny Walker the name of father looks like John but he could have had a middle name William John Wilson? and his occupation was Blacksmith.
        Thanks for looking Paul.

Comment

John Wilson b. 1846 should be on 1851 census - I suppose with the relatively common name you haven't been able to definitely identify which one.

It might be a tedious case of trying to go forwards with all the JW you find on the census to see if you can eliminate the others.

Sometimes a grandchild staying with person on a census can help connect the right person.

Comment

census

Hi Little Nell,
            Yes It has become a bet tricky , I am finding myself going around in circles. At times the censuses give false information, its just finding that key that will unlock the next part of the puzzle. I am finding there should be a lot of wilsons around the Hutton Roof area who would be related but my father never mentioned them apart from an Uncle Jim the lived in Buckle House and I have not found a James in the family so far.
            I will have retrace my steps and see if they are correct. Cheers Paul.

Comment

Good luck.

Oh, and my "Uncle Jim"'s real name was Jabez. Good job I knew all about it before I started researching! My Dad was the only one of 4 brothers who used his first name!

Comment

I keep coming and having a look at this, cos I've got Wilsons in Westmoralnd too.

The one on the 1851 census with father William was baptised in Hutton Roof on 1st Jun 1845 according to the IGI - son of William & Ann. It also gives his name as John Mansergh Wilson.

Right I think I've found him. If you have access to ancestry this is the ref:

HO107, Piece 2276, Folio: 38.

There are 2 families with John Wilson as the head on this page.
                The only problem here is that the younger John is 10.
                Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

This lad is still in Sedburgh in 1861, now he is 18.
                  Helen

Comment

Wilson

Hi Helen.
                    Yes another John Wilson married to an Ann and had Children John, William and a James but the date's do not seem to tally. It seems we have found two families one in Hutton Roof and one In Sedbergh. I will have to retrace to make sure I have not Mixed them up.
                    Thanks for all the efforts Paul.

Comment

William Wilson Re Herring

Hi, It looks as though William Wilson of Hutton Roof is not the father of John Wilson.
                      The John Wilson who was the father of John Walker Wilson Lived in Hutton Roof but was born in Sedbergh. The censuses have varying dates of his birth from 1846 to 1849 but I know they are the correct censuses because his wife is Fanny Walker and the children are the same. Ther are a number of Wilsons born in Sebergh between 1846-1849 and I have no way of finding out which one would be correct. Has anybody any Ideas how to proceed further.
                      Cheers Paul.

Comment

If you have a marriage certificate for John Wilson and Fanny Walker, where John's father is given as John Wilson, Blacksmith, the John Wilson I found in Sedburgh in 1851 (post #8) has a father called John Wilson who is a blacksmith.

So the age is out? Aren't they always.
                        Helen

Comment

John Wilson Blacksmith

Yes Helen I have the certificate but tht name of the father looks vague, it could be another John but it does say he was a Blacksmith.

So now I am looking for John Wilson censuses 1861,1851 in or around sedburgh whos father was John Wilson a Blacksmith.

That makes 5 John Wilson's and 3 blacksmiths so far.
                          One thing I have been told apparently is that one of the blacksmith's made the copper dome for Giggleswick school, if anyone could shed any light on that it may help.
                          Thanks again Paul

Comment

There is only one John Wilson with a father called John on the 1851 census in Sedburgh. and that father is a blacksmith. John junior is 10.
                            In 1861 there are 2 John Wilsons in Sedburgh with fathers also called John, but one of them is only about 2 years old.
                            The other is the one from 1851, now 18, and his father is a blacksmith!
                            Helen

Comment

Thanks Helen

Hi Helen,
                              Thanks Helen, so the older one looks like it could be although the age is out but the other ages were out on the other censuses.

My father used to mention an uncle Jim Wilson of Buckle house in Hutton Roof.
                              Thats the only Wilson he mentioned.
                              My grandfather had two sisters Mary Wilson Married a Jackson and Esther Wilson married a Thistlethwaite .

Cheers Paul.

Comment

Working...
                              X