Question about a 1936 Marriage Cert just received

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a 1936 Marriage Cert just received

Hi. Thanks to Merry, I was able to send off for my Uncle Pat's marriage cert.

Don't often get them direct from GRO but as London, did so for this one.

The cert is all in the same spidery handwriting, including the 2 signatures of the couple. On the old certs I have, the couple normally sign themselves. So has been good to see their handwriting or just that telltale X.

My uncle was definitely literate.

Is this normal for the later certs? Was in a register office.

Thanks.
    Liz

Hi Liz,

The gro certs are transcriptions of the original certificates. You usually only get original copies from local ROs if they hold the ledgers..I know what I mean..

Hope you understand that lol I'm not good at explaining things!

]

Comment

Thanks for that...the ones I normally get from Cardiff are typed. The writing on this one is old fashioned, faint and spidery so hard to think someone has written it out today.

I normally go to the local ones but not found Enfield R.O. that helpful in the past, being a busy office.
      Liz

Comment

Its much nicer getting a cert from a local office.

A great many of mine were from Wigan RO. The staff and registrars are brilliant but sadly now the registers have been moved and its just gro copies I get from Preston.
        I loved the scanned ones with original siggys! Liz try asking Cardiff if they can scan them for you, Wigan never refused if it was possible..

]

Comment

Liz

Northern Light has hit the nail on the head re the GRO transcription, there is also a guide in the wiki with examples of scanned, modern handwritten local certs and GRO issued versions in the wiki.

It won't really tell you anything you haven't worked out so far but you never know;

Scanned and Handwritten Certificates Guide - Family Tree Forum
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Oh thanks folks...All my Cardiff ones are done now Northern Light.

Crickey if GRO did this now the writing is so faint and spidery, they haven't done a good job! Would they have been copying the style of writing on the original cert?

Never mind. Not likely to be buying many more certs...wiping away a tear
            Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Liz from Lancs View Post
              Oh thanks folks...All my Cardiff ones are done now Northern Light.

Crickey if GRO did this now the writing is so faint and spidery, they haven't done a good job! Would they have been copying the style of writing on the original cert?

Never mind. Not likely to be buying many more certs...wiping away a tear
              No, the GRO haven't written your certificate out recently. The writing you see is that of the local registrar, or vicar, depending on whether it was a register office or church wedding who copied out the entries and sent them to the GRO at the end of the quarter when the marriage took place.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks Judith...I am so thick honestly (lack of sleep is not good for doing genealogy is it but can be a side effect ).

I understand now...
                Liz

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                  No, the GRO haven't written your certificate out recently. The writing you see is that of the local registrar, or vicar, depending on whether it was a register office or church wedding who copied out the entries and sent them to the GRO at the end of the quarter when the marriage took place.
                  Sorry Judith but the writing isn't that of the local registrar or vicar on a GRO cert.

As you say the local registrar or vicar would send the details at the end of each quarter, this is the first transcription of the details. Further transcriptions were then made in order to produce the alphabetical index and the copy certificates by clerks at the GRO (or whatever it was called at the time).

It is this multiple transcribing of the information that often creates queries and potential errors both in the index and the copy certs and also accounts for an estimated one million missing entries in the index.

I have a GRO issued cert and the equivalent (scanned) copy from the local office for a marriage.

The bride has lost her christian name on the GRO version and also in the GRO index, furthermore her middle name on the local version and (now christian) name on the GRO version have different spellings. Several people have missed her second marriage in the index because of this error and obviously cannot find her correct death.

I also have two versions of a cert where the father of the groom has a different name on both versions, the date, place and name of the couple are the same but the father is George on one version and John on the other.

George is the correct entry and it is the local cert that is correct. The groom has a pretty unique name so there is little doubt the certs relate to the same event.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

My Uncle Pat has actually lost one of his names (Patrick) which is the one he was known by.

Thanks Glen for that additional info.
                    Liz

Comment

My 2 x GGF used two surnames, one as his middle name.(Either he, or his father, was illegitimate, I haven't worked out which, yet)

The GRO have indexed him under this middle name only, ignoring the last name and as I wasn't aware of this middle name, I could never find his marriage cert - I didn't know his wife's maiden name either.

It was only when the local BMD for this area finally came on line this year that I was able to locate the marriage, which the local office had CORRECTLY indexed under both names and cross referenced.

I have three copies of one marriage - church entry, local RO cert and GRO cert. They are so different you would hardly know it is the same couple, except for the date and venue of the marriage. The church entry fits most accurately with the known facts, although even that entry has bride and groom's ages transposed, and the forenames of their fathers!

OC

Comment

I wish now I had used the Enfield R.O. It was so easy online to order through GRO.

Never mind, it isn't a central one for research and gives all the info I wanted.
                        Liz

Comment

Working...
                        X