No announcement yet.

which one is William Wood the younger??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which one is William Wood the younger??

Lyme Regis
    Bap 30 9 1746 William Wood son of Thomas Wood and Sarah Ham
    Bap 27 11 1748 William Gaich Wood son of William Wood and Sarah Gaich

9 11 1769 William Wood married Betty Wyatt but I don't know which William.

Clues
    Bap 3 7 1768 Mary daughter of William Wood
    Burial 29 10 1772 Mary daughter of William Wood Jnr

Bap 15 4 1772 Thomas son of William Wood the younger
    Burial 5 7 1801 Thomas son of the late William and Elizabeth age 30
    Burial 28 12 1780 William son of Thomas and Sarah no age

Bap 22 6 1776 Betty d of William and Betty Wood

I have no idea what happened to the other William Wood.

It would appear that William Wood the younger is the son of Thomas and Sarah.....but my thoughts would be that for a vicar to write "the younger " would be to distinguish between father and son.

Any thoughts welcome

It would have been useful if they'd called them William Wood and William Gaich Wood.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I’ve just re done this in chronological order:

1746 Bap 30 Sep William Wood son of Thomas Wood and Sarah Ham
      1748 Bap 27 Nov William Gaich Wood son of William Wood and Sarah Gaich
      1768 Bap 3 Jul Mary daughter of William Wood
      1769 9 Nov William Wood married Betty Wyatt but I don't know which William.
      1772 Bap 15 Apr Thomas son of William Wood the younger
      1772 Burial 29 Oct Mary daughter of William Wood Jnr
      1776 Bap 22 6 Betty d of William and Betty Wood
      1780 Burial 28 Dec William son of Thomas and Sarah no age
      1801 Burial 5 Jul Thomas son of the late William and Elizabeth age 30

So 1801 Thomas, son of Wm & Eliz died. His age is consistent with him fitting baptism where is father is Wm Wood the younger (implying William Gaich).

Mary would appear to be daur of Wm Wood jnr (which I would take to be a variant on younger). So Wm Wood jnr/younger would appear to be Wm Gaich Wood.

That would imply to me that Wm who married Betty and fathered 1776 Betty is Wm Wood son of Thos and Sarah Ham. As no mother is mentioned in Mary’s baptism I would take that to indicate she was legitimate so her father already married. So assuming he wasn't widowed (and you haven't listed a burial) he wouldn't have been free to marry Betty.

Comment

Earlier parish registers are so confusing. I have 2 sets of Richard & Anne having a raft of children and not sure I have given the right children to the right parents. If the vicar had just given mother's maiden name OR father's occupation OR their abode it would have helped enormously.

I am quite sure in small villages where everyone was called Wm or Thos and Sarah, Mary or Eliz. they would have all needed nicknames to know who they were talking about!

Comment

Thank you Little Nell..
          The vicar usually included both parents in the baptism register but for Mary and Thomas he put just the fathers name...so this may be William Gaich Wood and at the burial of Thomas his mothers name was Elizabeth so William Gaich Wood married an Elizabeth
          William Wood son of Thomas married a Betty and Betty was always referred to as Betty .
          So my initial thought that " younger " would refer to younger in the family rather than younger in the town is correct.

What has puzzled me is that all my current research is on IGI but only in a submitted form and whoever submitted it has had similar problems and in the case of a Mary Wood bap 9 11 1770 ( I have no record of this but it may have been missed ) has shown two sets of parents William Wood and Sarah Gaich and his son William Gaich Wood and Betty Wyatt

Comment

I expect different vicars dealt with multiple occurences of the same name differently but in the parish where all my Thomas Tweeds lived 'senior' and 'junior' were used to refer to fathers/sons whilst 'the younger' and 'the elder' usually referred to cousins/uncles/nephews and other more distant relations.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Cheers Judith....I guess the safest option is to go with William Gaich Wood as the younger but include all the notes that show that it may be the other William,,..that is until I ever find a marriage for the both Williams

Comment

Look for manorial records, land tax, wills: anything that shows transfers from father to son.

I have FOUR families of Adams in one village, all using William and Nicholas for their children. William of Coombe, William of Snape. William of Coombe junior becomes William Coombe senior in due course, until he moves, when he is William of the Town.

They all made wills, which went up in smoke in WW2:(. The only way I could tell them apart were the land tax records, which showed transfers of tenants when each died.

What you cannot do in this game is make assumptions, alas. And as the names are relatively common, there is also the unlikely but possible nightmare scenario of one family moving away and another moving in.
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks Phoenix
                  I have not been able to establish the exact details of parentage...so have made a seperate family for both William Woods and in each case I have left the parentage blank but with notes to explain....following the families through the subsequent years has shed no light

Comment

Working...
                  X