• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading "Where Born" on census, please

Can anyone read the place of birth of

William Newton and his wife Mary
    (4th and 5th lines)

- Ancestry.co.uk

In 1851 I think it says he was born in Saddleworth.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

William's place of birth looks like
    Tadcaster, Yorkshire.. sorry not sure about Mary...

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
    Raven's Family Tree

Comment

I'm not familiar with the Yorkshire area, but I think the second one looks like Houghton.
      Gillian
      User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

It's those blinking flourishy initial letters that are the problem. I think William's is Tadcaster (it looks like an L to me, but not when compared to Leeds further down the column).

Mary's could easily be Huyton, I am not up on Yorkshire names but that seems a likely suggestion.

BTW I never understand why some enumerators put birthplace with county first and then the place and others place, county. Sometimes when you can't read either it would help to know!
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Gillian and Nell!

I have decided that this isn't my William as I think I have found his death.
          Phew! If it were mine I would be confused with the place of birth.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Just in case you find you need it, I'm pretty sure the husband's birthplace is Lydgate, Yorkshire. Not sure about the wife's - the first letter of the word doesn't look like the other H's on the page.

I've found them in 1851, but the addresses are equally illegible - might be Saddleworth, as you say.

There's a Lydgate near Rochdale and another one near Sheffield, according to Genuki.

Comment

Working...
            X