Base born daughter 1774 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base born daughter 1774 ?

I have extracts for the Wood family in Lyme Regis and in the baptisms I have 29 April 1774 Sarah the base born daughter of Sarah Wood....I have only the one Sarah Wood and she married Charles Haydon on 15 Jan 1774....
    Can anyone offer an explanation for the baptism notation...?
    Cheers
    Colin

The child was probably born before Sarah and Charles got married.

Comment

so that would mean that Charles Haydon would not have been the father I was thinking that it had something to do with the years starting in March or April..but thought that it was earlier in the century,...

Comment

Do you have anything that gives daughter Sarah's age? If her birth was close to the marriage, then she probably was Charles'.

There may be bastardy bonds for the period that give a clue to the father.

Alternatively, are you looking at actual parish registers, or info from bts?

I don't know how they carried on in Dorset, but in Norfolk they ran from Easter to Easter (usually!) so each sheet would cover the period roughly of the old year before the calendar change. A careless transcriber might not note the change of year. And it is sometimes difficult to tell exactly which year a document relates to.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

The date of baptism could have been months (or years) after the birth of the child.

As for parentage, it could be the husband to be, or then again it might be someone else.........
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thank you Phoenix ...but I am not sure what BTS are....I have a list of Baptisms etc taken at Dorchester Records Office and is a transcription of Lyme Regis Baptismal Register ..Woods start in 1718-19 and the transcript is up to 1810.
            Sarah Wood the mother was born 7 Nov 1751 and baptised 20 Oct 1752
            There is no dob for her daughter

Comment

Hang on. Is this not looking odd due to the change in calendar or was that before?
              Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

That was earlier.

The new year used to start on March 25th, but the calendar was changed in 1752, and from then on it started on 1st January.

Comment

Originally posted by colin taylor View Post
                  I am not sure what BTS are....
                  Bishop's Transcripts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                    That was earlier.

The new year used to start on March 25th, but the calendar was changed in 1752, and from then on it started on 1st January.
                    I knew it started with 17!:D
                    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Working...
                    X