Wills again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wills again

I e-mailed Lancs. Record Office about several Wills.One they couldn't find,and I'm not surprised as I gave the woman's maiden name instead of her married one!Two others were "missing".I got the information from the Lancashire Wills website,and now that I have had another look it says "Wills and Admins.of Lancs. 1558-1857 C.of E. Diocese of Chester.Consistory Court."
    Does this mean that I will find the Wills at Cheshire Record Office?
    Fran

Can't hurt to ask them!
    But when I asked Cheshire Record Office about a Liverpool will for which I'd found a reference on Ancestry stating "...List of the Wills Now Preserved in the Probate Registry, Chester" they sent me the following reply:

"The indexes on ancestry.co.uk are about 100 years old and are now somewhat out of date. Since they were compiled (and prior to the wills being deposited here) some wills have been lost and Lancashire wills have been deposited in the Lancashire Record Office."
    Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah,will ask them.
      Fran

Comment

Have you checked whether they are available on line here?

Cheshire County Council - Wills Database Online Home

Jackie
        Jackie

Comment

Thanks NightOwl,No luck on there,so I suppose they must be lost after all.
          Fran

Comment

I believe that LancsRO and CheshireRO are having a very polite and well-mannered fight over ownership of some wills and these keep getting passed backwards and forwards.

I doubt if they are truly lost, just languishing somewhere in a box marked "paperclips".

(I really do think they should let the determined researcher into the store rooms to do a PROPER search, lol)

OC

Comment

Sounds a bit like Lancs OPC and Cumbria. I've been told Cumbria is thinking about not letting Lancs have their records for the OPC Project.

I wouldn't care if Cumbria had their own, but Lancs has done a great job so far.

Comment

I have sent an email to Cheshire,but am not hopeful.The Lancashire Wills site says that these Wills were filmed by the L.D.S.,so I suppose I could view them that way.
                Fran

Comment

Working...
                X